Author Topic: Not Everything is Black or White!'  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Not Everything is Black or White!'
« on: June 22, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
...and now for something completely different; unless somebody else had made one before! This is a bit of a departure for me, it's the first time that I've turned something that is just aesthetic and abstract....I'm usually a bit of a stickler for making things functional, or at least recognisable as a known shape. This started off life as a flask, but I was really unhappy with the proportions of the neck, so I scrapped them and had a rethink about what I could do with a sycamore disc with a 'v' slot cut into it. The solution was to turn it upside down and use the 'V' to house a plinth. The original plan for the flask included a 'label' made from a piece of oak burr, but I decided to use a piece of blackwood instead; so both label and plinth went black. The only relief from the plain black and white, is the tiny cabouchon of Tibetan Turquoise set into the reverse, hence the title....'Not Everything is Black or White'.

I glued it all together this afternoon, and there's a hefty screw going up through the plinth into the main disc, with a black synthetic adhesive between the plinth and the disc. This adhesive takes 24 hours to harden, so I can't polish yet. I've given it all a coat of sealer and will buff it on Monday.

Overall height is 10".

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Andy Coates

Re: Not Everything is Black or White!'
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »
This a winner. There's nothing about it I don't like.

The "v" is incredibly accurate, I'm curious how you cut/marked it out.

Andy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »
I really like this too. The stark contrast in both shape and colour really works. From a personal preference viewpoint I would probably prefer the black centre to be embedded more like the cabuchon instead of the hard disc you have. Personal taste only. Like Andy I'd like to know how you got that accurate v to fit so well.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Andy and Pete. Having turned the disc, I made a cradle for it out of scraps of plywood. The disc sat flat on the cradle, resting on its turned 'rim' to keep it stable. Then I simply screwed 4 pieces onto the plywood, one each at 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock....this held the disc flat and stopped it slipping laterally. Finally, I screwed another piece of ply over the top, to sandwich the disc.....so the disc was now captive in a plywood box. I then marked out the 'V' on the plywood and cut it on the bandsaw, then removed the disc from the box. Cleaning up the saw-cut was done with the timber held on the lathe, using a 2" bevel-edged firmer.
The blackwood plinth was easy...I just covered a piece of blackwood in masking tape, transferred the measurements of the 'V' slot onto the tape, cut it out and cleaned it up on bench-sander/linisher (horribly dusty, though).
Great fun...but took a few hours to get it done.
When the plinth was finished, I stood it on a bench drill press and drilled right down through it, with a clearance hole for a 4" number 10 woodscrew, then counterbored the underside of the plinth for the screw-head.
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
Les,

you previous work has shown your promise to develop into a turner who can think originally, this piece is a step change away from bowls and the normal fare of a turner into a wood artist.

I love the paleness of the sycamore, did you bleach it or do anything to affect the normal creamy colour of the wood?

And thanks for your explanation of the way you created the base and inset it into the disc.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
Les. I echo the previous comments. A very nice piece of sculpture. 'Simple', but very effective. Well done. Malcolm.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »
Hi Bryan...thanks for that. The sycamore is its natural colour...a nice piece; I bought it from Ockenden and am going back there tomorrow to try making a few more pieces like this, with a contrast between timbers like sycamore, lime and blackwood, wenge etc. It was great fun trying something this far 'out of my box' and I'm looking forward to trying a few more. My main concern is finding a suitable market for them in deepest Snowdonia. I might have to pop over to Anglesey to the gallery at Llangefni, that seems to be about the best place around here to see artistic woodturning on sale.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »

..... and now for something completely different ...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Bell_(march) ... needs a tune ..

Wow... What happened ... I'd missed something here ... TIME ... Only the other day it had been bowls .. BUT ..Suddenly a work of Art ..

This is stunning .. now if the disc had fitted into base ..  ;) ..  Well done Les, you've got talent and what looks like a signature piece.

Go sell um'

Cheers Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Thank you Malcolm...diolch, Dewi....I just didn't want to admit it to myself, but whilst I was making it I kept thinking that this could be a really good piece. Then I'd tell myself that it had probably been done a hundred times before and that I was making something fairly ordinary.
Tell you what, though,,,,the water in the shower ran black for ages as a result of sanding down the plinth!

Les

Clavico

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
Hello Les,

impressive piece and I am particularly impressed with fitting of the V.

Best,

Robert

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »
Thanks Rob....I think that cutting and fitting the 'V' took a half of the overall time that it took me to make this piece.

Les

ru55ell1

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
Just got to echo others comments "Visually Stunning"

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
Thank you, Russell.....already working on the next one!
Les