Author Topic: Oak burr N/E bowl.  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Oak burr N/E bowl.
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
I posted this earlier, but the thread seems to have jammed...I can't get access back into it, so sorry Bryan, your response may also be lost. Anyway...here it is again.

I turned this burr last night and wasn't especially happy with it, especially after catching my knuckles on the rim, so I gave up and went to the house to stem the bleeding. Then. along came Pete (bodrighywood) and posted a pic that he had taken of his own N/E bowl, which was a great help, as Pete offered me a tip about finishing mine. Tonight I had another go at it and got the wall much thinner. The base is now down to just 3mm, with a sturdy foot-rim to help keep it all together. A few pieces flew off whilst turning, but what's left is now quite sound. It's just under 8" diameter and 4"high, finished in sealer and carnauba wax, applied on a goblet-shaped polishing mop.

This first shot was taken in good, natural daylight and shows the real colour...

...but the next few shots were taken much later and I had to use a flash, which has altered the colour quite a bit.

I was given (yes, given) this piece by the gentleman who sold my lathe to me...

the piece that I worked was the 'lump' towards the right-hand end of the burr, the bigger lump, to the left, is sitting in the workshop waiting for me to have some inspiration.

Comments and criticisms always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Re: Oak burr N/E bowl.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
Les,siwd mae eto!

Meant to reply to this post earlier but I also lost the thread, I just had a blank page!
A lovely burr, nicely turned and finished :), not sure about the foot :-\ , but I don't want to start that discussion again!

Hwyl

Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Whilst I agree about the shape of the foot I can see that if you had taken it in any further you would have had an extreme rustic bowl or perhaps no bowl at all. You've done well getting it as thin as you have.

A tip: when you have as much bark as you have on that one, after adding the sealer, let it dry and go around the edge of the bark, where it is coming into the wood, and drip some CA glue into it as it can come apart when it dries on some woods, oak can do it.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
Les,

I'm not sure if it was something wrong with my post that may have crashed your previous posting. It seemed to take forever to up-load my reply to the server. In the end I closed the browser to kill the process. - Sorry Mods!

I'll repost later with the suggestion I was making - when I've actually had the opertunity to take the photo's I want to go with it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »
Hi Les,

Very nice piece, well, well done and I see no bleed, it cleaned up or turned out...  you've sure run the new bearings in by now.. with the recent work.

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''