Author Topic: Spalted Silver Birch Bowl  (Read 2661 times)

EnErY

Spalted Silver Birch Bowl
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:08:08 AM »
Silver Birch Bowl Natural Edged Finished In sanding sealer and Micro Crystalline wax
Bill

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Spalted Silver Birch Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »

Hi Bill,

I can't but say you've tackled one very difficult piece, heavily spalted, no doubt more than soft in places and half the rim missing.. Oh and Birch too .. tooling and sanding wouldn't have been easy, as is apparent, not easy to pick up the cut on the rim or with sanding the piece, but you've done a blxxxy good job, the outer form has a lovely flow, and you look to have gone for the same inside, did you fear in having gone too deep and hence created a slight corner to the base, depending on the timber you could have done with a bit thinner and a detail with the chuck mount just to hide it, then that's just how turners' judge it ... Excellent what you've done, one to keep and look back on.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:12 AM »
Hi Bill....that is one heavily mottled bit of spalting and it certainly can't have been easy to keep it intact with an en-d grain bowl like that  -  I've had couple crack and  shatter on me.
What size is it,please? I'm guessing that it's about 6" diameter and about 1.5" deep!

Cheers...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:06:50 AM »
Bill,

I've never seen such a heavily spalted piece of wood - at least not one that's stayed together. That must have bee caught at just the right moment.

Well done on turning a natural edged bowl from it, it looks stunning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

EnErY

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »
Thank You for your comments
Regards
Bill