Author Topic: A Southern Seas Ship's Decanter!  (Read 8958 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: A Southern Seas Ship's Decanter!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
Hi Les ,
          just a further comment, on David's point about a lighter band between woods, I think a dark or black line would look better or even a line such as Corian(?)
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
David...an interesting point you just made....in cabinetmaking, a little bead is often used to disguise a gap between two pieces of wood - as with a pair of doors on the front of a book-case, but I'd not thought of setting a small ring of lighter wood (sycamore?) into the join. I like that idea!
Les

Les, envisaging just what could be or been done I'd wondered if the neck to the main decanter body could have been a little wider, giving a wider neck base with a band and (John's idea is an ideal option,) could give a better wider flow than it maybe, it's not easy to tell from the current form, but may not give it that pinched look to the top of the body.. 

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 04:23:54 AM »
An interesting take on the ships decanter. The Tassy Myrtle has come up well  and hollowing from the bottom is the way to go , especially with the long neck.

All in all its come together really well, nice one!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
Thanks Hughie...especially for the inspiration to make this piece in the first place....but stay tuned, it's undergone a re-build this evening. Will get some photos on here soon.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
Well, I listened to all of the advise given and decided that one of my lumps of myrtle would be sacrificed in the name of getting the neck of the decanter sorted out. The new neck is shorter and more slender, with the stopper a smaller diameter, and it's now all made of myrtle, with the exception of the ring set into the joint between the neck and the flask. I tried a bit of sycamore, but it looked a bit lost as its colour just wans't strong enough, so I made the finished piece out of ebony, which looks so much better.

Hope you like it, 'cos I ain't changing it again ;).

Comments and criticisms, as always, will be more than welcome.

Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
Definitely an improvement. I agree that the ring needs to have a high contrast so the ebony works for me.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »
Thanks Pete...there was one other good reason for using the ebony. Having dropped the tambootie in favour of more myrtle, it was in danger of being called an antipodean ship's decanter, but putting a little bit of African wood back into it lets me keep the Southern seas name! ;)

Glad you like the changes; I'm much happier with it now.
Les
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:39:33 PM by gwyntog »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
Les,

that sit's much happier in the eye, you did right in changing the neck.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
Well Les .. given you've taken on the ideas as mentioned, must no doubt comment on the new plan ... what's needed is ...  ;D .. no, it has come together better and works well, just to have alter the original neck would have been fine, just giving it a little more of a longer sweep down to the band/joint..  Your taking it apart and playing with the options is in the end up to you as to how well they fit ...  and it fit's well.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »
Pete/Bryan/David.....do you know what? I've said it before and I'll say it again....you guys who use this forum are such a help and such an inspiration. When I was turning 20-odd years ago there was nothing like this forum to refer to for help and guidance, and that showed in the standard of the stuff that I was making. The help that I get from you all is making such a difference and I'm very, very grateful to you all.
Thanks guys.
Les

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
HI Les,
Well done - the mods work very well and you now have an excellent piece of work.
Regards
Ken

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »
Thanks Ken...I appreciate that.
Les

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
Well Les, what can I say? I really think that the alterations you have made have turned (no pun intended) this piece into a work to be proud of. The Ebony gives a nice contrast and breaks the joint nicely.
     You should be very pleased with yourself, it would look nice if the stopper was Ebony aswell  ;) sorry I'll leave it there ;D
Well done.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:45:39 AM »
Thanks, John, for the appraisal.
Yes, it would be nice if the stopper were ebony and it would be even nicer if I had a lump of ebony big enough, but all that I've got is 2 small strips, about 10mm thick and 70mm wide. I had thought of making the stopper out of the same wood as the filler in the joint line, but didn't want to get into using any of the browner woods that I've got. Once the ebony ring was fitted I realised that black was the perfect choice. I've got a couple of blackwood blocks about 100mm square by 70mm thick, but I'm loathed to cut them up just for a stopper, so it looks like I'll have to settle for the myrtle.
Thanks for the suggestion, anyway....Les

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 08:30:13 AM »
Yep you have definitely improved it, well done sir.