Author Topic: Olive Tea Light Holder  (Read 4149 times)

arcos

Olive Tea Light Holder
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
Found a piece of scrappy olive had laying around the barn and turned this.

There was no indication of how amazing this wood looks!

The photos do not do justice to just how beautiful this piece of wood is!

I think that a bowl would have been a better option for this but hey, its what I set out to turn so here it is.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Olive Tea Light Holder
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Hi arcos...you're right about the grain...it really is beautiful stuff. I'm trying to get a feel for how big it is; is that a standard 50mm tea-light holder?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

arcos

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
Tut, sorry Les....

It's the larger holder.

This piece has a diameter of around 5" and stands about 2" high. Finished with olive oil and beeswax.

I should also have said that it also has a foot/tenon. I was going to take it off but it seems to give the piece a kind of added dimension and looks as though it is floating so it's going to stay for now.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
Arcos,

will you stop bosting about your 'little bit's of scrap Olive Wood', we're all already jealous enough ;D ;D

I think this design would work just as well with the tall glass for tealights, the type that protects the flame from the warm gentle breezes you suffer.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:15:29 AM »
Ah yes, sorry dr4g0nfly... It was a little dry piece hidden under a cubic meter of green olive  :-X

No need to protect the flame here, I live in a little suntrap where even gentle breezes are not enough to extinguish a candle  :D ;D :P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:20:11 AM by arcos »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »

Nice little piece, arcos, could of done with a little detail, v or burnt line just to lift the blandness of old olive ..   ;D ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Hi arcos....a good idea to keep the 'tenon' to act as a foot. I think that bowls always look a little better when they appear to float.....just as long as it's wide enough to support the bowl and make it stable (which I guess is important with candle holders).

As for the suntraps, the cubic metre of olive and the gentle breezes....pffff! You can't make us jealous, we've got hail, thunder and lightening and even snow on the hills around us, but never mind, in just a few weeks it will be mid-summer's day and then the nights will start drawing in.

Les

arcos

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »

Nice little piece, arcos, could of done with a little detail, v or burnt line just to lift the blandness of old olive ..   ;D ..

Cheers  David

Oh David.... You had me going there for one minute  ::) ;D

arcos

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
Hi arcos....a good idea to keep the 'tenon' to act as a foot. I think that bowls always look a little better when they appear to float.....just as long as it's wide enough to support the bowl and make it stable (which I guess is important with candle holders).

I think a foot is a matter of preference and not always my favorite thing. Just this one really benefits from that floating feeling.

As for the suntraps, the cubic metre of olive and the gentle breezes....pffff! You can't make us jealous, we've got hail, thunder and lightening and even snow on the hills around us, but never mind, in just a few weeks it will be mid-summer's day and then the nights will start drawing in.

Les

Ah yes, the joys of UK living! I remember those days of summer arriving for a day in April and then water shortages during the wettest summer on record and then... IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!  :o

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »

I think a foot is a matter of preference and not always my favorite thing. Just this one really benefits from that floating feeling.

I've never really thought very deeply about this (but I'll bet that Bryan - Dr4g0nfly has) and I think that perhaps it has something to do with the width of the base, and especially its proportion to the height. Some thing like a vase, with a relatively narrow base but high sides, will definitely look, and perhaps feel, wrong with a foot on it. On the other hand, a broad bowl, especially if it has little height, will benefit from a foot because it lifts the piece and it makes the base seem lighter. I've tried applying that idea to a few vases and bowls that I've made, and it seems about right!

Les