Author Topic: Couple of weed pots complete with weeds  (Read 3269 times)

arcos

Couple of weed pots complete with weeds
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Been sick the past few weeks and not turning so today decided to get back in the saddle and crank out a couple of weed pots. First time I have left some bark like this on a piece and I think it's quite attractive.

Olivewood finished with mineral oil and beeswax.

They are destined to be given to a local cafe owner who have helped me out the last few weeks with some kindness.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Couple of weed pots complete with weeds
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
Hi Arcos.....the top one does it for me, much nicer shape and the grain pattern is good. Have you ever thought of drilling them out to take a glass test-tube so that they can hold water?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
Hi arcos,
           hope you are fully recovered now. A kindness repaid is more valuable than any currency.
Like Les it's the top one for me but I can see them both on cafe tables.
Well done.
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »

Hi Acros, good to see you back up an turning, the top one has an elegant flow and it's the drain really that makes it, the lower one is much like a long neck bottle and works in keeping the bark/faults, well done on them an as a gift of kindness, should go very well.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
Arcos,

as noted, you've certainly got the flow of the curve in the first picture, and the grain running through it from the perspective of the photo makes it almost an optical illusion of being a tapered shape from top to bottom. Very impressive.

I trust that if you're not fully recovered, your well on the way.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
Hi Arcos
Two nice weed pots. I prefer the first one of the two which has a better form. On the second one leaving the bark on works well but I find the shape not very exciting for me.
Well done
Regards
Ken

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
Hi
I agree with all the comments so far, the form of the first works best . I always like to see a bit of bark left on a vase turned from a log,but i'm not a lover of the form of the second one,sorry. Hope you feel fully recovered soon,
regards,
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

arcos

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
Thank as always for your comments. They were well received by Fatima and her husband yesterday meus amigos!

Still not fully recovered but getting there but after 4 weeks of being laid up at least I am now back turning.

These pots are great fun to turn and good practice to try different forms. The 'bottle' form isn't that interesting but I wanted to see how it would look with bark left on and this was the obvious shape.

The top one is definitely my favorite and I am looking at making a larger vase in a similar design.

Thanks again guys.