Author Topic: I hope I'm getting this right!  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
I hope I'm getting this right!
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
I've never done this before, so please, please shout at me if I'm getting it wrong.

here goes....I've cut up all the holly, ash and other bits that I got last week, into pieces big enough for 1 or 2 bowls each. I'm slowly taking individual pieces and coating the end grain in wax...lots of it! I'm also coating any serious knots on the surface and the last inch or so of each side.

There's also a load of logs of various age, which I'm happy to forget about for a couple of years, so they're getting the ends coated and will be put away in an open-sided shed.

Finally, there's the batch that I've yet to get around to. for now, they're sitting on a water feature being hosed down every day and covered with a tarp. I take a few pieces in-doors each evening and coat all the ends etc.

I do hope that this process will save much of the timber, but if anyone knows of anything I'm doing wrong, or anything extra that I can do....please say!

cheers, guys...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: I hope I'm getting this right!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »
Les,

your main problem is too much good timber.

I suggest you share it around a little, we don't mind helping you out with it - honest!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:51:08 PM »
Bryan....I'd happily share it around a bit if you were all a bit closer. I really appreciate all the advise and guidance that you guys have offered me and I'm really concerned that some of this wood will go to waste because I'm not up to working with it yet......it would make more sense to share it than waste it, but I dread to think what it would cost to stick it in the post!
Les
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:49:27 PM by gwyntog »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
Les,

my first answer was a little glib.

To offer a better one.

Keep the branches and a any logs in as long a section as possible. That way if they crack you should be able to cut back to 'good'wood'.

The stuff you've cut up and waxed, don't stack too closely. Air needs to be able to circulate to let any moisture escape and not build up.

With both, a cool area is a good idea.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
Is this a cache you got from a deceased turner or have I got the wrong one? If it is most of it is likely to be pretty much seasoned.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:44 PM »
....wrong batch, Pete. You're right about the deceased wood-turner, though; his batch is all well seasoned. This timber is the second lot that I bought.
I got it from a local farmer/forester and when I first saw it I thought that I was wasting my time. A huge pile of rotting tree trunks, but when he started to cut them open.....! It cost me under £50 for the lot, but it's all quite wet.
Les