Author Topic: Textured, Coloured Platter  (Read 7455 times)

Mark Sanger

Re: Textured, Coloured Platter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »
Hi Brian

An effective exploration, thanks for sharing.

I have a 3 inch Lancelot, almost lost my finger using it a couple of years ago, put it away and never used it since, scared the xxxx out of me. Take care with it, but then you know that.  :)

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
Hi Bryan,
This piece is what I like, a good balance of striking colours which makes it exciting to look at.
Regards
Ken 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »
George,

It's always good to get an honest critique, more so when you are talking from first hand experience of having handled the item.

I can and will take a lot away from your comments, and will attempt to incorporate them into my next texturing & colouring experiment.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

Bryan.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »
George many thanks for your critique of Bryan's piece, I am sure Bryan is pleased that you have taken the time to "look it over".
I have a question for you,you say that the bowl centre should be about 1/3 of the diameter, would you ever make that bigger? say 1/2 depending on the pattern or do you think that the rule of 1/3rds in this situation is (usually) the best measurement?
      I agree about the depth of the texturing but wonder if it was textured after being decorated (so as to show the white of the wood)would a deeper or more agressive texture look better?
 Sorry George, that's 3 questions!! :P
Regards
John BHT

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »
Thanks again George,
            I think this one is 1/2 & 1/2 and it works for me but I do not think it would work so well with a texture on it.I agree with the
1/3rds ruleit does look better balanced.
Bryan, sorry for hijacking your thread, I am sure you will enjoy your day with George.
Nice piece by the way George.
regards
John
BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »
Well Guy's,

I had a couple of hours with George this evening. Picking his brains and learning a little more about adding texture to items. I've got lots of experimenting to do from some of the ideas I brought away with me...

I'd like to thank George (that'll be the second thread thanking him in one day) for his kindness and patience.

We did work one bowl through to completion, so here it is, My coloured textured bowl after a masterclass from George,

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
Well done Bryan, a bowl worth turning indeed. I see 2 layers of texture(?) which I quite like.
Time with George well spent I would say.
Regards
JohnBHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »

Very good, I don't know why but I'll say Aztec Sunset, looks some what like that, rich, bright some what golden, the yellow back drop sets it off perfectly too.

Well done on joint Collaboration.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
Nice work Bryan.

The rule of thirds is something I work to a lot as my work is purely esthetic, so this is my prime concern.

John like the 50-50 ratio which also works fine. At the end of the day I believe being aware of the ratios is a good foundation to work with, however they can be broken successfully. I would just say if the proportions are broken then make it obvious, it will then generally look fine, it is when the proportions are too close but not correct that they eye becomes confused in trying to decide if it looks right or not, the conclusion generally being ' I like it but there is something not quite right'.

Just my thoughts.