Author Topic: Requirements Creep  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Requirements Creep
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
So the Love of my life has been attending the craft club in the village and the last few weeks it's been about making lace. You know the one, with all the little turned bobbins, yes... thought you might.

(btw anyone want a hand-made lace snake bookmark?)

So she asks me if I can make her a dozen bobbins. Bonus methinks, SWMBO approved turning time and earning brownie points. So of I toddle to the workshop and cut a dozen bit's of Beech.

Then it starts...

'Oh, ' she says, 'they are used in pairs, could you make them two of each and all different?' Deciphering this request I agree that I can.

Later it's,

'Ah!, I told [someone] I'd ask if you could made her a set as well?' - eh... 'Okay', so I go cut another dozen sticks, this time Black Walnut.

Peace at last, happily turning away, down to the last group of 4 when she appears at the workshop door...

'Eh, I think we need 7 pairs for the next session, could you..?'

Back to the bandsaw, cut another 2 of each timber and - well here they are.

100mm long, 7mm dia with the thread section down to 3mm (all sizes approximate!)

All jokes aside, C & C's welcomed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:13:52 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Francesco Dibari

Re: Requirements Creep
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »
I think its a great job .. congratulations ... also for your patience ..  :)

woody

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Very nice are you going to put the beads on for her LOL  ;D

Paul Disdle

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
Great job, looks like good skew practice. ;D

Paul

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Woody,  

She can add the beads I did the beading, I did drill her the holes!

Paul,

I used 2 skews. A 1" straight to plane down to diameter and a ½" to cut the thread area and and various beads & coves etc..

Francesco,

I found once I got into them they were quite easy, it's more a case of deciding what design to cut on each group.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »

Very nice set there Bryan,  it's Midlands Lace and not Honiton Lace that Rosemary is making, as for Honiton Lace it's a lot lighter thread and the bobbins need not be as heavy, plus the pointed Honiton bobbins in some forms of Lace are used as a needle .. My Sister has me into all this, not the Lace ...  :D .. as from a past post ... Always a Pair and Wound up .. as pairs they're wound the equal amount from each end of the length of thread needed and the more that one works the more difficult it gets to keep the pairs matched .. so pairs need to be of the same design .. or so I'm given to understand ..  :D ...

Rosemary should be well covered at the Craft Club .. but I'm sure if needed if I have a word with my Sister, she'd pass on what she knows, she's down from you, the far side of Bridgie.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
Very nice set there Bryan,  it's Midlands Lace and not Honiton Lace that Rosemary is making...

Yes - he said, shaking his head!

David,

we'd like to buy her a beginners book. But we can't find any in the bookshops in town and without knowing what's inside, won't order one in or buy one over the internet - it may be too advanced.

Any chance of a tip or two on what to buy, from your sister, next time you speak, please.

Many thanks,

Bryan

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
Hi Bryan...I too have turned into a 'Requirements creep' just lately. SWMBO (AAC) announced that as I'd now got lots of practice in, how about I made her a soup bowl....which I did. Then a cheese-board/stand....then a table lamp out of that fascinating huge lump of bone-dry yew that she'd found hidden below my bench in case she spotted it (how do they do that)?
Then, of course, there was the coffee table (didn't turn that) and the two finger-snack bowls (which I did turn).

Guess why I haven't posted much in the gallery lately!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
Very nice set there Bryan,  it's Midlands Lace and not Honiton Lace that Rosemary is making...

Yes - he said, shaking his head!

David,

we'd like to buy her a beginners book. But we can't find any in the bookshops in town and without knowing what's inside, won't order one in or buy one over the internet - it may be too advanced.

Any chance of a tip or two on what to buy, from your sister, next time you speak, please.

Many thanks,

Bryan

Consider it done the next time we speak ... She pulled out a range of old books the other weekend that I was down staying .. to find the thing a me bob she was now after .. with no luck ..  :( ..   :D ...  most of the books I think she has have been found in S/H Book Shops and by the odd chance in Charity Shops ..  I get some pointers asap .. thing is when to catch her or to get through for my nephew on to his girlfriend .. Life is Fun .

David

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
This is exactly how I started woodturning 30 or so years ago. My wife started making lace, and still does, so I said I'd make some bobbins for her. Trouble was I didn't have a lathe, so I built one using my power drill as the turning force. After a while I got fed up with the noise from the drill, so went and bought a lathe and then started selling bobbins. And here we are today. Malcolm.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »

Incredable how woodturning and lace making, come to that spinning/weaving were so linked as what was Cottage Industries at one time.. are they not now ..   ;D ..

David