Author Topic: Enforced warping?  (Read 4061 times)

arcos

Enforced warping?
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Well, it's been a few days(?) since I came here and it looks like I have missed a few 'interesting' posts  ;)

Looking at the warped walnut bowl in the gallery got me thinking...

Is it possible to force warping, or perhaps, assist the warping in a way that would give a desired finished product?

I'm thinking about using metal bars/weights on bowl edges to try and drag edges in a certain direction.

Just a thought

And another question is how on earth do you stop a wet turned piece from cracking??

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Enforced warping?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
If you turn green wood thin enough it will warp but not necessarily split. It does also depend on the wood. As far as doing it deliberately have a look at this
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:36:23 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »
  When using green wood you can guide the warp you want, the makers of hats use elastic bands to pull the rim in, when at school I used to soak plywood and press in to a vice type template  and make nicely curved salad spoons, so with a bit of practice I dont see why it could not be done with any thinly turned green wood..

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Mark Sanger

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »

Mark Sanger

Mark Sanger

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »

Andy Coates

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »
You can also use a microwave oven. You need one with a low setting and you need to "cook" the piece on low for perhaps 30 seconds. See how hot the wood is...BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF...if still cool set a little longer Etc. When you find a cycle length that makes the wood hot repeat after cooling. Then allow to cool again. Then re-cook and so on. Leave the oven door open each time to allow the steam to escape.

The wood will warp after a few cycles but you run the risk of cracking...but then as in this piece I made some years ago that was the intention. The piece is Holly.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:20 PM »
Andy,

That Is Amazing...
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »
Thanks to everyone for comments and links.

Andy, that piece is stunning!

I am guessing how you turned this and may borrow the idea on a dry piece of Acacia that I have laying around if thats ok?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:46 AM »

Andy, for a minute there looking at the thumb pic it could have been a bleached Banksia Nut ...   ;D .. as if anyone would waste the time ..  :o .. it did go a bit far.

I was given to mic a piece using Defrost, 30 seconds after every minutes rest till dry .. think it worked well, oh an to stand the piece on kitchen paper, absorbs the water which can boil out, but not to catch on fire...  Mic can smell a bit afterwards, so best to have your own cheap one ..  ;) ..

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''