Author Topic: Another purple heart l.h. form  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Another purple heart l.h. form
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:04 PM »
As promised,another Purple Heart & African Blackwood Lidded hollow form.
This one is finished with acrylic sanding sealer and two light coats of acrylic gloss,photographed outside in natural daylight (now the rain has stopped and the sun's come out for a change). C & C welcome.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Another purple heart l.h. form
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
Rod,

I think you've found the world supply of Purpleheart! I do like this form very much. However I feel the finial lets it down slightly, they need to be so crisp and 'right' to the eye.

If I may;

The bead between the lid and the teardrop lacks a little in definition, the under and over cuts do not go far enough and it is not quite round.

The base of the teardrop needs to be rounder, this would also cure half the comment above.

The top of the teardrop, leads into the top point, then reverses it's curve, it needs to flow all the way to a sharp delineating line, or...

the top point is whish washy,

...if the teardrop flared to a sharp rim and then the point used a reversed the curve to the tip it would be a stronger visual effect.

I've cropped the finial from your picture and used paint to try to show (poorly) what I mean.

You can also tell me to bu88er off as well, I promise not to take offence.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:49:07 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »
dr4g0nfly,

No offence taken so no need to bu88er off!!!
I agree there could be more crispness to the finial and I wish I hadn't included the bead below the teardrop.
I think the finial should also be shorter ("rule of thirds").Thanks for your comments,watch out for the replacement!
Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
Hi Rod. I like this very much. Purple heart is a favourite wood of mine and I like the way you have finished this with a 'dimple' effect. I won't comment on the finial as I am not proficient at turning them and I know that others commenting here are. Well done. Malcolm.

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
I agree with Malcy and won't pass comment on the shape of the finial but the African Blackwood sits beautifully on a splendid purpleheart hollow form!!!
Regards
Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
Thanks Malcolm & Terry, it's been a long time since I turned a piece of Purple Heart but I found a piece in the workshop I bought about three years ago,enough for a couple of hollow forms and a box.
I wish I'd bought a few more pieces in Yandles weekend before last as I'm now out of it completely! I think it's goin to be back to Sycamore and colouring/texturing .
Regards
Rod

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »
nice work and nice wood, congratulations   :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:37 AM »

Hi Rod, a faultless Purple Heart form, stunning, the finial works, but for as already has been said, if it comes a finials and the Art there of have a look: http://www.cindydrozda.com/ ... and no you don't need the tool, any tool in your box can do just as well .. now lets see if I've a screwdriver ..  ;D ..

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »
Hi David

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at Cindy Drozda's work previously,but thanks for supplying me with the link.
Her teardrop finials are elegantly turned and have the "crispness" mentioned in another c & c , but I think a lot of her pieces look top heavy when they sit on those very thinly turned bases. I've been working on a few more hollow forms and am experimenting with different style lids, finials,textured and carved etc , hope to post another for c & c soon.

Regards
Rod