Author Topic: Square Dish  (Read 2919 times)

Paul Disdle

Square Dish
« on: April 16, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »
5" square Iroko dish.

This is my first go at turning a square anything, so plenty of C&C please

Paul

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Square Dish
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »
Hi Paul. Isn't it scary seeing those corners flying by? I made my first square dish about a month ago and posted it on the forum. if there was one consistent comment, it was that the outer edges varied in thickness, from a fine thin edge at the four corners, bellying-out to a thicker edge at the middle. I didn't really think that this made much difference at the time, but I accepted what was said and then re-worked the piece a week-or two later. I must admit that it was difficult and also a bit nerve-wracking, but getting those edges down to a uniform thickness made all the difference. Have a go!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
Do you work from the top or the bottom to improve the edge thickness, I couldn't work it out hence I stopped, posted and meant to include that question in my post.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
Hi Paul,

As George says, a good first attempt. As you gain confidence I'm sure you'll achieve an even thickness but why not aim for an even thicknes of say 6mm/ 1/4" to start with and work your way down to an 1/8", practice makes master, good luck with your next project.

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »
Hi Paul....it would be very difficult now to work the bottom of the dish, but if it's still possible to attach the underside of the dish to the chuck that you used, you can remove thickness from the top down. What I did was to sweep across the bowl with a bowl-gouge, towards the centre, but (and this is the important bit) without removing any material from the corners......so your gouge starts cutting further in towards the centre, which reduces the thickness of the edge without removing any more from the corners.
My best advise would be to re-mount it on a chuck and spin it by hand, slowly, whilst moving a gouge across it, you'll soon see where the gouge will cut.
Keep those fingers out of the way, though, and best of luck!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
Paul,

if you work from the top down, you'll wind up with a deeper dish, from the bottom up, a shallower one. Honestly it does not matter.

What I will say is Iroko is not a nice wood, on the lungs! Please take a reasonable degree of precautions with the dust.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
if it's the first work of this type (square) I might have chosen a less demanding wood, iroko need to gouge always very sharp and light hand, but I'm sure the next one will be better ..  :) ..
good chips ..