Author Topic: Caring for my headstock!  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Caring for my headstock!
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »
I could do with some advise about caring for my headstock bearings. My lathe is a Coronet No1, which has a No1 morse taper and the usual male thread over the bed, for attaching faceplates, chucks etc...see photo...

on the left-hand end of the headstock, there is a socket-head cap-screw, which serves to hold the shaft into place (and has to be removed to slide the shaft out for belt replacement)...see next pick...

So here's my questions...
1. Should I be lubricating the main bearing, and if so, how?
2. What's the correct procedure for removing things like the 4-prong drive, when it's in place in the morse taper?

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Caring for my headstock!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
I've never had to change the bearings on a Coronet No. 1 so I'll leave that to someone who does know.

but taking out the 4 prong drive needs a Knockout Bar. A bar of metal that will pass through the No.1 Morse taper hole and tap the drive from the rear.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »
My club has some of these and similar lathes. They have thread protectors that can be unscrewed to force out anything mounted in the morse taper. I forgot to fit the thread protector with the drive centre once and it was a real pig to get it out.

If you do not have one, you could ask Record. They still use the same system so should have spares.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
Ah...the thread protector! The installation manual mentions it as a means of protecting the thread when tapping the shaft back in  after changing a belt....never though of being able to use it to drive out a 4-prong. Thanks for that, statsman.
Dr4g0nfly.....can't use that system as there isn't a hole through the shaft (see second photo).

....getting back to the first question, though, should I be attempting to lubricate the bearings on the main shaft?

Les

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
Hi Les,
         you should only try to grease the bearings if they are greaseable i.e. if there is a grease nipple through which to do so. You may find that the bearings are sealed for life in which case there is no need. The thread protector will have a hole in the middle through which your drive centre will pass, so you should always fit the thread protector unless you are using a chuck.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »
Thanks John...there is no grease nipple, so I feel safe to assume that there's no regular maintenance regime for the bearing. I'll have to search through the box of bits that came with the lathe to see if I've got a thread protector.

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
Les,

If you can't get a knockout bar through you do need the thread protector. As John says, they remove the drive centre buy the action of unscrewing it.

As for lubricating your bearings, if they are Bearing Races (Ball bearings) as they appear to be in the photo, then No. They are lubricated and seals for life items.

My first lathe was the Coronet major, it had a solid Phosphor Bronze bush, those do need lubricating.

woody

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 11:03:17 PM »
The bearings on this lathe are sealed and dont need any oil or grease they are sealed for life that is the life of the bearings the only attention they will ever need is changing when they are worn out

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
Another thought.

Don't (that's DON'T) spray them with substances like WD40 or solvents. They will desolve the grease the bearings are packed in and cause them to fail - very fast!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
Cheers for the advise dr4g0nfly, but I'm thankfully one of those people who understands the difference between lubrication and penetration....and we'll say no more.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »

Les, from the pictures can't fault that you look to have a clean, tidy and well cared for Lathe. Well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''