Author Topic: metal brain  (Read 7549 times)

Francesco Dibari

metal brain
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
good morning to all , I want to share this experience and hope you enjoy it ; Erica Burl and metallic inclusions, have to finish the opening attacks but will not change much
C & C  are welcome
thanks to all and sorry for my bad english  :-[

arcos

Re: metal brain
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
Thats pretty neat...

What metal did you use? Silver solder?

I had a play with a few pieces using solder to fill areas but certainly not this much also in Erica lusitanica.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
It looks incredibly tactile...I just want to hold it and feel its texture and contours. It reminds me of an exercise that we had to do in college in the early 70s....in those days we called them 'Fondling blocks', but I've never before seen one that opens up. I'm not sure about the idea of having it to open up, I think that I'd just like it as solid shape. The silver colour of the metal goes really well with the lovely amber colour of the burr. What is the metal, Francesco?...lead?...pewter?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »
very Unusual, I like it  :D

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
One further thought....how big is it?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
I'm not sure where the 'Turned' component of this piece lies. But I/We have learnt from Mark Sanger that to a visionary few, the lathe is only one component of the artists Toolset. And we do acknowledge from your previous postings that you are a turner of some vision.

Yes I think it is a wonderful piece, one that will make may of us review our consideration of some of the pieces of wood we are lucky enough to come by.

A really interesting and inspirational piece, thanks for posting it.

I do reflect Les' comment, on size and also ask, what is the inset metal, and what technique did you use to include it into the timber - if you'll share such details.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:05:37 PM »
I think I like it, the filing of the smaller cracks looks great, I am not so sure about the large amount of metal  used near the hinge area.

Paul

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
Hi Francesco
Unusual and very interesting! Did you hollow it out on the lathe and if so what chucking method did you use?
The metal inclusion works very well and I think this would be a real head turner if displayed in a gallery etc.
Can't wait to see the next unusual piece!
Regards,
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
many thanks to  all for the questions, my English is not too good, but I try to explain as best I can

1) I attached two martyrs to the burl and then cut  with the band saw, the martyrs have been used to attack the pieces on the chuck lathe,  without damaging the exterior design

2) the cracks are filled with tin solder and I used a soldering iron and a small gas torch

3) Measures are the max diameter 23 cm. (9.44 inch), height 12 cm. (4.72 inch)

I honestly think Mark Sanger is right ...

share is a pleasure, but it is easier "to do than talk" I'm very sorry for my english  :-[

se ci sono altre domande fate pure senza problemi   :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
Francesco,

Firstly your English is far superior to my, and probably all of our Italian, please don't feel you need to apologise for it.

To help;

Martyr = Sacrificial, something you apply to be cut away and not affect the main piece.

Tin Solder = Probably Bar Solder as used to be used (and my still be) by some plumbers. Depending upon the Tin/Lead mix we would also call it Pewter.

And thank you for your answers.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Grazie Francesco ... Mi piacciono le inclusioni e hanno sperimentato io stesso. Una torcia a gas? Interessante!

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
Francesco,

Firstly your English is far superior to my, and probably all of our Italian, please don't feel you need to apologise for it.

To help;

Martyr = Sacrificial, something you apply to be cut away and not affect the main piece.

Tin Solder = Probably Bar Solder as used to be used (and my still be) by some plumbers. Depending upon the Tin/Lead mix we would also call it Pewter.

And thank you for your answers.

very kind ..  :)

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
Grazie Francesco ... Mi piacciono le inclusioni e hanno sperimentato io stesso. Una torcia a gas? Interessante!

are those little used by confectioners to decorate cakes  :)

** sono quelle piccole usate dai pasticceri per la decorazione delle  torte   :)

many thanks arcos

Mark Sanger

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Francesco

as said in another forum, I find this interesting and I like it.

I also see an old 'Toad' in this piece, does anyone else see it.?

4 th pic down. !

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
Francesco

as said in another forum, I find this interesting and I like it.

I also see an old 'Toad' in this piece, does anyone else see it.?

4 th pic down. !

Hi Mark , you're absolutely right, in the fourth photo,  resembles an old toad and to be honest from anywhere i look , it can change the similarity  :)

in general, I love the natural edge and when I look at a piece of this kind, I think that :  the hand of man has made only about a quarter of all ..  the rest did mother nature .. but this is a personal thought  :-[

many thanks for your comments  :)