Author Topic: Welsh ash bowl  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Welsh ash bowl
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
I was given a big hunk of air-dried ash recently, so this was an experiment to see what it turned like. I think that the grain is beauiful, especially the two pippy little streaks running down one side of it. It stands 12cm high and 14cm diameter (4.5 inches x 5.5 inches) and currently has just one coat of Danish Oil on it, but I shall be building up the finish over the next few days.

Comments and criticisms welcome...Les (gwyntog)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Mark Sanger

Re: Welsh ash bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
Hi Les

It was good to meet up at Yandles, it was a great weekend.

This is a good practical piece/turning and reminds me of 'Mashiko' pottery which was one of the many periods in Japanese pottery where they produced ' beauty in Utility'.

I am sure there are many cultures that also produced similar forms but it just struck me that was all.

Form is a very subjective subject and I always feel guarded in commenting on it. So I will comment on the elements within the form as I see them.

I like the lift that the foot gives to the piece, the flow of line from the base into the belly, shoulder to the rim of the form is a continuous curve without any break.

Perhaps it may benefit from a slightly sharper line/definition where the flow of line meets the rim but this is a minor point.

Ash is a beautiful wood, and your finish is spot on enhancing the interesting grain. Thank you for sharing.

Oh and I like the way you have laid the piece on its side in the third photo. Why not experiment with this on the next one and produce a rounded/tapered base and place it on a contrasting base. Perhaps a dark wood, or stone. Just some ideas and thoughts. 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
Lez,

Thanks for posting this, my first guess is the 'pink' hue is from the flash or other light source.

You've achieved a very good finish, having such distinct grain, it's all to easy to over sand Ash and wind up with a ripple effect where the grain differs in hardness.

Mark has commented on the form, all I'll add to his final comment is I turned & tried one of his 'footless bowls' on a bit of slate, it really does look the bee's knee's - I recommend it as an experiment.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
Thanks to both of you for those very kind comments. I was absolutely buzzing when I finished turning that bowl; it's streets ahead of what I've been turning in the past and I had a feeling that it was going to be a good 'un as soon as I got the basic shape of the outside. Perhaps the pinkish hue is reflection off the shelf, although the heartwood is quite deep in colour anyway.

I think that I'll have a go at turning a round-bottomed bowl, as you both suggest, but for now, maybe I'll turn something like a quoit out of a contrasting timber and see how that looks. That doesn't mean that I won't be trying a stone base at some time - I'm sure that I will, just want to try it in a contrasting wood first.

In a week's time I'll be collecting about 100 assorted bowl blanks from a workshop clearance that I've bought. As yet I've seen the contents only through photos, so I can't wait to get my hands on it and get started.

I return to work next week after a fortnight's Easter hols from school, so there'll be much less opportunity for turning, but I'm sure that I'll find the odd hour!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:37:43 PM »

Les, you've got this one spot on, can't fault it other than comments already made, puts me in mind of a jar on which the lid would pop over the rim .. who's jar was it ..  ??? ... answers on a postcard ..  Lovely Ash.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
sometimes it all just comes together and what you get is what yo wanted...good innit LOL Have to go along with the others. Simplicity is difficult to achieve but yo have done it

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

arcos

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
This is a lovely piece of wood...

I have to agree with David, a jar springs to mind and would be a great store for my homemade lemon marmalade!!!  :o

Perhaps not, but it is a lovely looking piece!

Well done...

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »
Thanks guys for the sudden rush of responses! It was a very pleasing piece to make and I had that feeling all along that it was going to turn out well. It came from a 5.5 inch thick slab of ash that I was given recently (yes, given). I didn't measure the slab, but suffice to say that we took it in turns to carry it to the car. It was air dried and already several years old, yet since turning the top has developed a very slightly oval shape and is now about a quarter inch off true, which simply adds another dimension to its simple curves.
Les