Author Topic: Ring Stand  (Read 2815 times)

arcos

Ring Stand
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »
This was a little project to test the possibility of making stems for a couple of glasses I have.

It was never going to be the right size for a stem, it was just a test.

It fits a ring really well though!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Ring Stand
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
Ring holders normally have a stem/finial over which the ring sit's so that it does not get lost.

I know this was not originally meant to be one, but I thought if you saw one, it might become yet another string to your bow!

As for the Glass Stem, I can't see the 'glass' which would adorn it, but the stem to me is too straight, a slight curve or a waist would give it an elegance.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »
Hi arcos...I was looking at the ring-tree that dr4g0nfly posted the pic of and spent a couple of hours in the workshop this afternoon, using up scraps of wood, pen-turning blanks etc, making up ring trees out of composite parts, like lacewood, plane, rosewood and spalted beech. I've even included stone inserts to boost the appearance of a few, but that could well be debateable!. no pics yet, as my camera batteries are recharging, but by the time that I'd practised, I was turning them out at the rate of one every quarter hour....could well be a market for them. So, thanks for the inspiration and hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Les (gwyntog)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:10:29 AM »
I can't say I have done ring stands on their own. I usually do them as part of a complete jewelery strand like this with holes for the earrings and a depression for rings, studs etc
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
So, this is the result of playing with a few scraps.

There are two made of London Plane bases with Indian Rosewood finials, one of which has a piece of Turquoise Howlite set into it. I feel that at 40mm diameter, the Howlite is a bit too large, but have some 30mm diameter Black onyx on its way, so each of these two will have Onyx fitted. The remainder are ... set of four with Amazaque bases and spalted Beech finials, plus the individual one out of Black Palmira.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
Oh, Applause, Applause.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!