Author Topic: Bubinga Lidded Hollow Form & Chinese Lidded Box  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Bubinga Lidded Hollow Form & Chinese Lidded Box
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
I found a piece of 8" x 3" Bubinga today witha little sapwood on one side and wondered what I could do with it. The first piece is a small "chinese" lidded box 2 1/2" dia x 2" high including the lid. The second piece is a lidded hollow form 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" with an African Blackwood finial 2 1/4" in length and the thinnest diameter is 1/16th". C & C welcome,please.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Bubinga Lidded Hollow Form & Chinese Lidded Box
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
Hi Roderick....I'm speaking as something of a novice here, so take what I say with a pinch of salt! The 'Chinese' box looks a fun little thing to make, but I have a slight problem with the lidded box, in that the box itself has a very pleasing gentle, flowing curve to its form, whereas the lid and finial seem over complicated and somewhat at odds with the bowl's simplicity. Both pieces look technically great to me and I can surely appreciate the level of skill involved in making them.
One question, though.....how do you clean up and finish the inside of the box?   I've just started making undercut rims on bowls and boxes and can foresee the time when I'll be able to cut a shape, but not get sufficient access to finish it well.
Les (gwyntog)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
Thanks for your comments. In answer to your question both pieces were hollowed out using the Roly Munrow Hollowing Tool, it's surprising what you can do with this , the opening on the hollow form is only an inch diameter. The inside of the lidded chinese style box was hand sanded with 100 and 150 grit and it surprised me how smooth the finish was on this piece of Bubinga, it was then finished with two coats of cellulose sanding sealer.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:58:17 AM »

Hi Roderick, I've got to say that's two very nicely turned pieces, stunning form in the chinese box, as it is with the HF as well, the picture is just that little bit small to pass full judgement on what looks to be a nicely detailed finial, excellent finish.

Well done.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:19 AM »
Roderick,

I like both pieces, they would sit comfortably in a display.

But the Lidded Hollow, I'd do away with the lid, it's too much for me. I know we like to show our skills (and I'm as bad) but sometimes a simple form needs no further embellishment.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Hello Rod,
              well done on both of these, I really like the box and the finial, I think they sit very well with the form and nicely turned. The chinese hat box though is a bit different. I like the shape on the box but feel that the lid could have been worked a little bi more, is that a chattter ripple I can see?
Otherwise really good. Like you I favour the Roly Munro hollowing tool and yes it does reach where you want it to.
Regards
John BHT

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
Two very nice pieces. I like the chinese style lidded box particularly. Unusual form that surprisingly seems to balance out quite well. Malcolm.