Author Topic: Olive Tea light Holder with Beeswax Tea light  (Read 3293 times)

arcos

Olive Tea light Holder with Beeswax Tea light
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
This started out as a bowl but unfortunately due to some internal cracking had to be modified.

Overall I am fairly pleased with the design. The candle I made using pure beeswax in a large glass tea light holder.

There were a couple of small cracks that have been CA treated with some shavings.

About 5" at widest x 4". Finished with a varnish/BLO mix that really gives an almost satin feel to the wood.

As always, C&C very welcome.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Olive Tea light Holder with Beeswax Tea light
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:52:47 PM »

Hi Arcos,  you're getting there with the form and it looks to be a very nice light holder, we see a lot who turn pebble forms, so this is a nice change, some may not like the foot.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »
I'm definitely with David.

A good shape but not sure about the foot.

I take it that the beeswax tea-lights are a local purchase (the Chinese Shop?)

Another idea I've learnt from this forum is to rotate your series of pictures, especially with a strongly grained timber.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »

Hi Arcos,  you're getting there with the form and it looks to be a very nice light holder, we see a lot who turn pebble forms, so this is a nice change, some may not like the foot.

Cheers   David

Thanks David

Yes, a lot of pebble forms, which I really like.

This did start out as a bowl, hence the foot. It wasn't until I had reversed the piece and started to turn the inside that the cracks started to appear!

I agree with the foot comment and no, not to everyones taste, for me, well let's just say that the jury is still out on it.

If I had started out to turn a tea light holder then it would NOT have had the foot!

The beeswax candle I made myself thank you very much dr4g0nfly... Portuguese Olive wood, Portuguese Beeswax! No Chinese here (Although I suspect that the Ikea holder may be Asian)  ;)

I have a fair amount of beeswax kicking around, glass tea light holders but no candle to fit the holder. It made sense to knock up a tea light to fit just for display purposes but of course it will burn as a candle.

The photos have been rotated and show the very similar graining around the piece
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:28:41 PM by arcos »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

Cheers Arcos, by the way, size ...  About 5" at widest x 4"....  don't burn the place down on lighting .. that's got to give some light for a candle power ..  :D ..

Yes ..  we understand how things can and will cause the piece to alter from the original idea.

Enjoying you every advancement within the skills of turning.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
Foot has been removed!

I'm always a bit nervous of reverse chucking AND trying to change something that is 'finished'.

However, I do think this looks much better without the foot. I think that I could have rounded the bottom off a little more but I am happy with this.

David, this holds one of the larger tea light candles that will burn for 9 hours straight!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:37:46 AM by arcos »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
Citronella, to keep the bugs away?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
Absolutely dr4g0nfly

There is a big market for citronella candles here and wouldn't it be nice to seat i into a lovely olivewood holder  ;D