Author Topic: Oak enclosed form, deep bowl or what ever you like to call them  (Read 4307 times)

Mark Sanger

Hi all

this is the last one I will post for a while or you'll get fed ups of me. :)

It is turned from a wet oak log to thin wall and seasoned which took a week. Buffed and two coats of finishing oil.  It was a young piece of oak so a small amount of the lighter sap wood was still evident and shows top and bottom ( but then I know you know that)  :)

6 1/2 inch dia c 6 1/2 inch high

Paul Disdle

Re: Oak enclosed form, deep bowl or what ever you like to call them
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
Another nice piece, how much did it move when seasoning?

Please keep posting, us beginners need to see good forms to help our learning

Paul

woody

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
Now that is very nice in fact very very nice keep em coming I for one never get fed up looking at quality turnings

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:06:59 PM »
Mark, when watching people  turn this sort of thing, they normally say it's best to avoid inclusions in the wood especially knots.

I note front and centre a knot and up to the left a black something-or-other probably a dear knot. What is your take and how did/do you stop them warping differently to the rest of the pot,

Thanks,
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »

Mark, that is one beauty, plain, simple form, yet stunning grain and finish, if I where to collect a piece of your's it would be this one for now.

If anything I'll turn others rejects which are left on the shelve or kicked cross the yard, usually a nice piece of timber under it, got to get back to it ..

Keep them coming by all means.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mark Sanger

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
Mark, when watching people  turn this sort of thing, they normally say it's best to avoid inclusions in the wood especially knots.

I note front and centre a knot and up to the left a black something-or-other probably a dear knot. What is your take and how did/do you stop them warping differently to the rest of the pot,

Thanks,

Hi Brian

Apologies for the delay in getting back to answer your question but I have been very busy.

Yes I also advise to exclude all forms of inclusion, exclusions or faults until a time exactly how the wood will react is known. I do quite a few things that I would not recommend as I know exactly how a  certain species will react or how to season it to get the highest chance of success.

Often shoots die back in early growth and are covered by the bark and not evident until turned, these are  pretty inert and cause little problems. I do also however turn with branch inclusions on some woods and by slowing down the seasoning time to a maximum, to a rate that suits the knot there is little problem. While monkey puzzle is very different inclusions are turned with little problem.

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
Hi Mark,
Very nice piece like it alot.

Oak is a favourite timber of mine. I love the knots/inclusions/splits and wild grains that can be found in it  - plus the burrs of course.
Regards
Ken

Mark Sanger

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Hi Ken

Thank you.

I too like Oak but have not turned any in awhile. I have some beautiful brown oak burr that is as dark a brown as dark chocolate. Must get around to turning it soon.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 03:16:14 AM »
Why don't you let me have it you will never get around to using it.LOL

Regards George

It is the most richly coloured and densely burred oak I have ever seen and the reason I have not turned it to date is that it is too nice to turn a bowl with, so I think I am going to produce a free form sculpture out of it.