Author Topic: Ash Bowl  (Read 5259 times)

Mark Sanger

Ash Bowl
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
Hi all

This bowl has been kicking around in my workshop for well over a year but recently I needed an ash bowl so have just finished it. It was turned with the pith included centrally through the middle. Measure 200mm dia x 130 mm high,I have not to date come across such white Ash and like it so much that so far I have not applied a finish as I know it will darken it as I am thinking of getting some wood bleach to work on it.

Still as ever C&C welcome. Before you ask the wall is a nice 10mm thick.

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Ash Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
Very nice Mark, bleach it and you will have a blank canvas to work with, good idea.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
Mark,

I've no idea why but I can't see any picture you post while sat here at work! Thank heavens for smart phones!

I agree, that is very pale Ash and such a pleasing shape to the eye.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Hi Drag0nfly  -  Glad you said that because neither can I, at home either although
I rarely log in at home bacause of the speed (150k)
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »

Mark,

It is a stunning piece of Ash and form, looks good for having been kicked around for a year ...   :D ..

Picture's fine for me, I've found if a picture is an attachment, if not logged in it will not appear.

Your hand has fully recovered now or you've not notices till I've asked ...   :) ..

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »
Hi Mark. That's a good shape. Well rounded and flowing sides. I was thinking of doing the same with one of the pieces of apple logs I was given (picture posted a day or two ago). Your bowl has told me I should. The colour is very nice. I have to say I like the lighter colour of woods like this but as you say, many darken with finish on them. Malcolm.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. I use to turn quite a few like this then I got addicted to hollow forms, now I like turning these forms again and am getting more and more into thin wall green turning.

David

yes my hand is better, I cut the cast off myself in the end and rang the hospital to tell them. They told me that I should have physio or I may lose have restricted movement when I get older,  ::) I said that would probably happen any how .  :) Can't keep driving for an hour each way waiting around for hours for check ups when I am self employed. Took a chance and seems fine.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »
Mark, now I'm home and can get a proper look at the photo can I ask, has it a round bottom or just a very small flat base?

Personally I think it needs 3 little legs, a good coat of soot and MacBeth's witches dancing around it!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »
Hi Mark,
Another perfect example, the thin wall, lovely form and what a nice grain. I'm still experimenting with hollow forms at the moment but I think I know what I'm going to try the next time I'm offered a piece of green wood.
Regards,
Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 09:43:02 AM »
Bryan and Roderick

Thank you for your comments.

Bryan

It has a small foot, but I also make them with round bases but the buying public generally don't get that unless it is obvious it is a purely aesthetic piece. They generally expect a bowl to be stable.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
It has a small foot, but I also make them with round bases but the buying public generally don't get that unless it is obvious it is a purely aesthetic piece. They generally expect a bowl to be stable.

And they have to supply their own witches as well!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »

And they have to supply their own witches as well!

:) They can supply witches, dragons, politicians or what ever they want once they have paid for them.