Author Topic: Another little plumwood bowl  (Read 2121 times)

arcos

Another little plumwood bowl
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:11:36 AM »
Here's another little plumwood bowl to go with the one the other day...

A couple of photos with the original one.

Both were turned from green plumwood. The second, larger of the two had thinner walls but oddly enough is starting to show surface cracks. Not sure if they are going to go all the way through yet.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Another little plumwood bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Okay Arcos, you've achieved another one, not much different from the last. But I notice the small but glaring error, so lets see if we can help you turn a 'balanced natural edged form' now!

I've no idea of exactly what equipment you have so if you don't have a 2 prong drive, use whatever you do have, right...

...put your timber between centres and hold it gently, don't clamp up tight with the tail-stock. You'll want the timber end towards the tail-stock.

Now bring up the tool-rest so that it is near to the head-stock and arrange it so that the corner or the rest is fairly near to the high-point of the bark. Eyeball the distance and rotate the wood 180º. Without dropping the wood, release the tail-stock and adjust the wood so that the bark is about the same distance from the corner of the rest as the other side was. Again bring up the tail-stock to hold it and rotate another 180º. Repeat until the rest is the same distance from both high points.

The next bit is slightly harder, you need to do the same with the low points but using the tool-rest is out as it will keep hitting the wood. Move the tool rest so it does not hit the wood and measure the distance from the rest to the first low point, my preference here is my thumb, but a stick or rule will suffice. Rotate the wood 180º measure and adjust as necessary.

Now you have the wood centred so that when you turn the chuck spigot on the tail-stock end and remount it, the wall heights will be even end to end and side to side around the turning.

Looking forward to seeing a balanced form from you next time.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

Re: Another little plumwood bowl
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
Errrmmm dr4g0nfly....

Look forward to my next attempt in a year or two after I have deciphered you post!  :-[