Author Topic: Textured,Colured,Lidded Hollow Form  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Textured,Colured,Lidded Hollow Form
« on: March 14, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
This hollow form was inspired by a visit to Llanelli Woodturning Club by Mark Sanger. He has boosted the confidence of many of the memmbers after an excellent demo. The hollow form was turned from a piece of 4" x 4"sycamore, textured with a Peter Child pyrography pen with a fine spoon shaped tip placed at different angles in groups to vary the texturing,painted in black acrylic paint,then finished by blending together Jo Sonja's Metallic Rose and Metallic Silver. The finial lid was turned from a piece of 3" x 2"African Blackwood. It measures  4"  in diameter and 4" high including the finial.   I am a new member and this is my first posting so comments and critiques very welcome .(I hope the photos are ok)
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Textured,Colured,Lidded Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »

Well Roderick,

That's one really nice piece to post as a first on here, lovely form and finish and detail to the finial, it could be said the finial could be a little finer, but look balanced to the piece as they are, you sure have been inspired by Marks' demo and work.  Will we see fellow members of the Llanelli Woodturning Club posting their work.

Well done, you've started on a high standard.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

GwilymF

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Hi Rod, as a fellow member of the Llanelli club I've seen the work you've done since Mark's visit and he's definitely improved the mind set.
Gwilym

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »
Hi David.
Thanks very much for your comments , much appreciated. I hope a few more members will post their work. At the moment it's just Gwilym and myself who are members on the forum.
Roderick
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:39:57 PM »
Hi David.
Thanks very much for your comments , much appreciated. I hope a few more members will post their work. At the moment it's just Gwilym and myself who are members on the forum.
Roderick

Cheers

As it is so far, we'll see some remarkable work between the two of you, will sit back (not to far) and watch.

Keep them coming.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:15:20 PM »
I agree fully with David. You've achieved a well rounded form there, no untoward changes in the curves, it look really tidy.

I do like the Sycamore family for colouring, it really takes colour well.

Looking forward to more of your posts already.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »
That's a very nice piece. Good form and a lovely colour effect. Well done. I'm in Swansea and may pop over to your club one Wednesday evening to meet you guys face to face. Unfortinately I have other committments most Wednesdays, but I may get a free one soon. Are you there (?) every Wednesday evening? Malcolm.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
Hi Malcolm
We normally have between 20 and 30 members present every Wednesday evening, from about 6.30ish to 8.30ish.
You are most welcome to visit (hope you've got a sense of humour). We are in the Community Hall in Furnace,not far from the Stradey Park Hotel. Thanks for your comments.
Roderick

arcos

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »
Very nice piece!

Wish I still lived in Wales... Looks like some active turners over there!

I could learn a LOT!

C'MON THE BOYS FOR SATURDAY!  ;D

WE ARE ONE!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
Hello Rod,
            for your first post here you should be very pleased. I like the shape and the colour and texturing. Strange thing about the texturing in places it gives the impression that your piece is dented, a trick of the light. Mark is an inspirational turner and he had the same effect on our members when he visited. So all credit to to you for having a go.
regards
John BHT

Mark Sanger

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »
Hi Roderick

Good to see you posting and experimenting, keep them coming and I am glad that my demo has got you and others thinking about trying out new ideas.

Just keep making.

Thank you for sharing.