Author Topic: Medronho Root Bowl  (Read 2673 times)

arcos

Medronho Root Bowl
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Well, this was an interesting turning project this morning!

It is a piece of Medronho and was such an odd shape that I wasn't entirely sure what to do with it. This shape came about during the turning and was certainly not what was expected/planned!

It is NOT a dry piece and I have used the microwave since turning in an experimental attempt to try and avoid excessive distortion or additional cracking!

There is no finish or additional colour on this piece!!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Medronho Root Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »

Hi Acros,  that is an interesting piece and form, unusual in every way, will be interesting as to how the piece dries out and if what happens should you microwave it.

You've excelled yourself with this piece,  well done, see it once it's finished.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
The piece has been microwaved TWICE! Left in the microwave for about 30 - 40 minutes after mirowaving to try and ensure a humidity balance.

The foot has rippled slightly but not as much as the last piece I turned. If, IF this procedure does work then I will be turning a lot of Medronho pieces shortly!

I like the form and wish I had the balls/experience to try and turn a piece like this thinner/finer!

That will come with time I guess!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »

::) ...  That's me miss reading between the lines of your post and taking it was not dry ...   :-[ ...  and you would experiment with drying.

Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
I use microwaving on thin stuff to make it warp out of shape,you get some very interesting designs after a few 30sec blasts on defrost
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:41:20 AM »
Arcos, root balls give some of the most interesting bit's of wood for turning. As you've duscovered you never quite know what you will get out of it.
Don't worry about thin walls, they will come in time. However concentrate on even wall thickness as it will help with the drying - less likely to crack.
Also concentrate on the form you want. Dictatethe shape you see in you minds eye onto the woid, don't let it dictate to you what it will be! Again, this is practice but easier thsn thin walls.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!