Author Topic: Craft Event Invitation...  (Read 4704 times)

Andy Coates

Craft Event Invitation...
« on: March 18, 2011, 06:19:22 PM »
I've just had an invitation to a craft event. This is a prestige event, and well advertised and attended. But...

For the space I usually have at such events, and I only do four outside events a year now, it would cost...

£1100 without any extras, and not accounting for travel costs (considerable), five nights accomodation (frightening) and subsistance for the duration (with my appetite, not to be sneezed at)...

That's a fair amount of woodturned objects before you take any money!

What's the most expensive event you go to/ have been invited to?

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Craft Event Invitation...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
Hi Andy,
            that does sound a lot of money, the most expensive one that I have heard of and there is no way I could afford it is at the Bath and West show where one of my mates (a woodturner) was quoted £1400 for a pitch.
      I tend to do shows local to where I live and usually if I take a lathe and demonstrate I either get the pitch free or  get reduced rates. If it is too far to travel each day I take a tent and camp to save a few quid on hotels and petrol.I'm normally so tired at the end of a day at the show that I have no trouble sleeping.
Regards
John

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »
At our club we were quoted £4000 at the RHS at Tatton Park - We didn't take it up. ???

By the way Andy - you didn't mention the liquid refreshment which is also not inconsiderable :o

Cheers Dave

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »
The most expensive ones I do are about £800 for a 4 x 3 metre stand but as they are only about a 10min drive from home very few other overheads.

john

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »
Hello John, At £800 you would have to sell a lot of pieces.Regards John
John Smith

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
You are not wrong there, I have been doing them for a couple of years and so far I have always come away with a nice profit but not sure how it is going to go this year given the 2 shows I have done so far.

I was sent an invite to the ideal home exhibition and the cost is mind blowing, stands start at £760 per square metre and go up from there, I decided that was a bit too much for me.

john

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
Hi all,

I'm just back from my first day displaying/selling on an Arts Trail which costs me £40 for 11 days, weather good so lots of visitors but not so many spensing only sold one hollow form, but thats one more item than the 3 artist/painters sold who share the venue. So got my money back and a lot more things can only get better I hope.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence