Author Topic: Coin dish  (Read 7377 times)

arcos

Coin dish
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
Made this after having a brainfart halfway through turning which resulted in this unnecessary center piece.

Anyway, it kind of works and is a bit different! Coin is a 20 cents

woody

Re: Coin dish
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
Very nice I like the idea of the coin in the middle I call them life bowls or loos change bowls

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
What's unnecessary, the design is in the eye of the maker the appreciation is in the power of the purchaser.

Personally I think it makes it a more visually interesting item and hopefully pushed the value up by at least another €5:20 than you first thought.

That's €5 for the additional design and ¢20 to get your money back!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
 ;D

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

8) ...  another piece of nice home grown Olive ..  and nice idea, thought of Woody's life bowl before I saw his comment on just that.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
I make similar types of bowls but put either a shot glass for flowers or a candle / T light holder in the centre and sell as table centres. Popular for dinner parties or wedding tables.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
Hi arcos,
             nice shape and nice idea and the finish doesn't look too bad either. Looks like a bit of torn grain on the rim at the bottom of the picture. Otherwise very nice, makes a change from the nutcracker bowls.
Regards
John BHT

Dave Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »

arcos

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments and yes there is a little bit of torn grain on the rim. Didnt notice it until it was finished  :-[

Certainly like the idea of 'deliberately' leaving a center for tea light/shot glass etc

The center was left because I had THOUGHT that I had drilled too deep and actually turned to close and exposed the hole. What I didn't realise was that the screw chuck was used in the piece I was removing so came up with the idea of a central column and then a coin/cabochon and then fill the hole in the bottom. Of course the was NO hole in the bottom!

However, I quite like the end result and it is certainly a little different to another little shallow dish!

Life Bowl... I like the name!

The finish is my mix of beeswax and linseed oil which was then slightly burnished using shavings and then two coats of spray on varnish for a little more shine and a little more protection to the wood.

woody

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
Varnish over wax don't be surprised if it peals of soon wax over varnish yes but I would never do it the other way round I really hope it works for you

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments and yes there is a little bit of torn grain on the rim. Didnt notice it until it was finished  :-[

Certainly like the idea of 'deliberately' leaving a center for tea light/shot glass etc

The center was left because I had THOUGHT that I had drilled too deep and actually turned to close and exposed the hole. What I didn't realise was that the screw chuck was used in the piece I was removing so came up with the idea of a central column and then a coin/cabochon and then fill the hole in the bottom. Of course the was NO hole in the bottom!

However, I quite like the end result and it is certainly a little different to another little shallow dish!

Life Bowl... I like the name!

The finish is my mix of beeswax and linseed oil which was then slightly burnished using shavings and then two coats of spray on varnish for a little more shine and a little more protection to the wood.

Send commission to 'Woody' at ....

Cheers

arcos

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 08:06:09 AM »
Yes I had thought about the risk of peeling however it does seem to be holding quite well with no sign of coming off..... YET!

Yes, commission.... Whats the bank details Woody?  ;)

woody

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
That will be the bank of Violet the wife LOL

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
That will be the bank of Violet the wife LOL

:) ... :D ...   ;D ...   :'( ...  We find you well,  Woody, and taking it easy ...  it is hoped ...

Cheers   David

woody

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »
Workshop conversion is now completed David dart board in place and stocked up with John Smiths LOL