Author Topic: What to do with a plank  (Read 3948 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

What to do with a plank
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
Following Bodrighy's trenchers and his question about what to do with plank type material here is something I made today when I should have been doing something else. The wood looks like Olive Ash but I'm sure it is American Oak. 81/2" dia the black ring is textured and spirit stained with silver gilding cream applied and then rubbed back when dry. The centre is raised like a boss, sanding sealer and wax polish to finish.
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: What to do with a plank
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »

John, that's turned out really well, looks more Oak than Ash, was it a board from Yandles, your rejects from the caskets are normally Oak.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »
Thanks David, no it came from the local joiners shop.
Regards
John BHT

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
Hi John I think it looks more like Olive Ash nice piece of turning and finish is great I also like the grain pattern.

Did you raise the centre so you didn't go through the bottom LOL ;D ;D

I will see you at the AGM in a couple of weeks.Regards John
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
I like that John, though I would have labelled it as ash as well. The two woods smell quite different though. Whatever reason you had for the boss it really enhances the platter for me.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »
John,

I think that is very attractive. Any chance of a close up to the texturing and colouring work please.

Thanks
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
Nice, clever use of detailing.

Paul

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
John,
 I love the way the texture ring has been finished, nice work. I would be confident it is ash but the end grain would be the best way to tell.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »
Hi all ,
          thanks for your comments. It really does look like Olive Ash but on cutting it the normal white of the Ash is absent. Steve looking at the end grain it looks like American Red Oak but I'm just not convinced it is.
Pete there was hardly any discernible smell to it so I couldn't tell by that. I am normally pretty good on my timbers(well I should be after a lifetime working with it ) but this one eludes me. I do have a couple more bits to turn so I might be able to tell easier with them.
Bryan I will try and get a close up but it will be after the weekend now as the something else I should have been doing was getting ready for the YT day in Bodmin this weekend.(I travel down tomorrow).
John I look forward to catching up with you at the AGM.
I used the sorby texturing tool to make loads of little dots all over, sprayed it black (
which gave me an opportunity to try out the new airbrush)and rubbed in the gilding cream, and then while it was still wet I took a fine scrape off and then lightly sanded it when dry.
I get fed up making bowls and platters so I made this one deliberately different, no panic about going through the bottom John :D.I just thought that as a decorative piece it would look nicer like that.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
Looks very nice sir ...  ;)

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »
As requested a close up of the texturing(I hope)
I used a Sorby texturing tool and sprayed it black,once dry I applied a coat of gilding cream and rubbed it well in, I then cut it back by scraping it gently when it was still wet.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
It's beautiful the way it all blends in with the grain John. A very nice piece indeed!!!!!
Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry