Author Topic: Trenchers  (Read 4106 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Trenchers
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
OK so they possibly aren't historically accurate but Trenchers sounds better than plates LOL.
I recently acquired a pile of oak of all shapes and sizes including two planks 4' long and waney edged on two sides. Problem was they were only 10mm thick so too thin to do conventional bowls. I cut a couple of 'squares' off one of them and using glue chucks to keep the thickness made these two 'trenchers'. The one with a bit of burr in it was a right *** as the wood was so many different levels of hardness it just wouldn't cut cleanly no matter what I did. Hopefully it has worked out OK though. They obviously vary in size but average at 14" across the diagonals.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Paul Disdle

Re: Trenchers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »
very nice.

1 question about glue chucks, is this simply sticking a piece of waste wood to the good wood or does tjis require a ? paper joint?

Thanks

Paul

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
I use hot glue...making sure it is dripping hot not just warm. I glue a piece of wood that I have pre-turned as a spigot onto the piece I want to turn. You can do it in various ways though. I have turned burrs using glued wedges for example. If you do it start the lathe up slowly at first and make sure you have a secure joint. Also don't try and work on the piece in any way that can push it off the joint. Some people do it using a paper joint between the two layers but personally I feel it adds a weakness so don't.

Pete

arcos

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
I like these!

I saw some others a few days ago turned from "sticky" pine planks that retained the bark on two sides.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:20:53 PM »
Trenchers? I don't know - I see nibbles plates.

They look great and well recovered from such a thin board of wood.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »

Nice work Pete, I like both, but the top one I prefer.

For my glue chucks I'll use an X of double sided tape on the waste block, cut about a 1/16" pellet off a glue stick, space each between the tapes, I'll hold in place with a small screwdriver, as I melt them with a heatgun, get them nice an hot, not to burn, warm the blank to turn and stick together, once colded turn as you've said, it works fine and has been safe for me.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I have a fair bit of this wood in planks so if these prove successful I will do some more. Any other ideas what to do with wood this thin? Don't say burn it !!!!!!!! It wouldn't be any good laminating it thicker as I don't have a thicknesser and getting it evenly flat would take forever.

Pete

arcos

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30:33 AM »
I too would be interested in hearing ideas for use of planks!

I like the ideas for glue chucks too... Double sided tape? I have used before with varied success. A rather expensive super strong tape that is quite hit and miss, literally! I think that the tape is too thick! What type of double sided tape is best? I have heard people using carpet tape which is obviously quite thin but strong enough??

Pete, the underside of the trenchers is just plain?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »

The tape I have is 1" wide, it's much like masking tape, but for the backing peeling off for the gum surface, it's always ideal to apply some pressure to the pieces for good adhesion with which ever fixing you us and the surfaces match an are clean.  The glue/tape joint stops all the glue from being compressed and forming a poor or weak joint.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »
I've been having a think of what could be made from 10mm thick boards, no including slicing it into spindles for hairsticks, pen blanks or shawl/kilt pins, so far I've come up with;

- Lids for re purposed glass jars and pots.

- Upright stands for footless turnings

- A ‘plate’ for a desk set of similar wood.

- Several pieces held together and design turned and textured onto it as a Wall Sculpture/ platter

- The wall plate with turned shaker pegs for clothes etc.

- A display stand for some of your turned pieces

- 2 pieces drilled with holes and separated by spindle work as an artist’s paint brush or desk tool stand

- 2 pieces fitted together as a very shallow (tablet/pill) box.

An interesting exercise certainly stretched the 'little grey cells!'
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »
Hi Bryan,
            how about marking concentric rings on it, cutting it in half and cutting the rings out on the angle and glueing and stacking it all back together to make a bowl?
Regards
John BHT