Author Topic: My First Demo  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
My First Demo
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »
I did my first club demo last night at Treknow Woodturners. The subject was ear ring stands and was based on a demo given by John Lancaster at CAW about ten months ago (thanks John) with a few tweaks of my own.

The AWGB helped when they came down to our club last year for a one day session on instructing and demonstrating. I also learned from seeing others at work such as John Lancaster, John BHT, Mark Sanger and Alan Thomas.

Many years ago, as an NCO in the air force, I regularly gave lectures so was not entirely without experience. During that time, I was taught (backed up by my own experience) that eight hours of preparation was required for a one hour lecture and for this demo, I must have spent at least sixteen hours in preparation.

I produced a hand-out which allowed me to think through the demo process and this helped. It was hard work but I thoroughly enjoyed both the preparation and the demo. The feedback has been very good and I certainly intend to do more.
Philip from sunny St Issey

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: My First Demo
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »
Well done on your first demo. I'm sure it was enjoyed by all and the best way to learn is to present it to your peers. Experience in the forces also helped,still helps me. Remember.....PPPPPP.........Proper planning and preparation prevents poor performance.
 I am delighted that you have had a go and that you enjoyed the process. Here's to the next one.
Well done.
Best regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »

Well done, Philip, you got there in the end after the first nigth being cancelled, looks like you set March's competition of an Ear Ring Stand .

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:25:35 PM »
Hey John BHT we must have been in different mobs because you missed out the P word which rhymes with kiss  :o
Best
Brian

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »
Just being polite Brian, I'm on the Executive now so I have to show a certain amount of decorum!! ::) ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »
Hey John BHT we must have been in different mobs because you missed out the P word which rhymes with kiss  :o

I've got to say (as an ex Pongo) the missing 'P' was the first thing I noticed!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »
Just as I thought, different mobs ;)
Brian