Author Topic: Medronho TEST Bowl  (Read 2478 times)

arcos

Medronho TEST Bowl
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
I was desperate to turn the little 'shard' of medronho that I had picked up yesterday. Not dry and been laying in the rain for weeks!

I am not going to do any more to the bowl to bring it to a good finish as J simply wanted to see how it turned and the resulting colour. The photos do not do the colour justice!

The natural feature was left as the bowl is quite small as it is and removing the 'feature' would have left me with a saucer!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Medronho TEST Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:32 PM »
That is competely natural - what a stunning coloured wood.

Initial thoughts on not doing anything more to it...

Firstly you can get away with it as it will warp and become a 'natural freeform' with any luck some of the grain will also become apparent to the touch (like ripples) and as such it will become a very tactile piece. Once it is dry though a light oiling would help and if used as a 'hand' piece the natural oils from your skin will develop the paterna.

but you'll need to stop it splitting. So make sure the wall thickness is the same all over, here thin (especially if you'll not be re-turning it) is good. The hardest bit will be where the chuck held it. While waiting for part turned pieces to dry I use Jubilee Clips (Hose Rings) on mine. They need regularly tightening but restrain any splitting action of the wood..
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:59 PM »
Yes, colour is completely natural!

Its already taking on an oval shape and some GREAT ripples radiating from the knot!

I like the jubilee clip idea on the foot...

It's not that thin, maybe 4mm wall thickness so expecting a crack or two...

As a test piece I really don't mind what happens but it was fun making nd I am going to learn from whatever happens to it!

RED AND ROUND BOYS, RED AND ROUND  ;D

Paul Disdle

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:35:29 PM »
Jubilee clip tip is a good one..

The natural colour of the wood is very different in a good way.

Paul