Author Topic: GGrrr cannot get my head around it!!  (Read 3715 times)

arcos

GGrrr cannot get my head around it!!
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
I want to make a winged bowl!!

Yes, I know, bit advanced but I really like them!!!

I just cannot seem to understand the principle... I've watched videos, read articles and it still just does NOT compute in my head.

I am sat here with what I thought was going to work and now see that its a piece of brown cr@p

Going to take it back to the lathe and keep shaving!

But if someone has a nice simple explanation of how to do this I would be very grateful!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: GGrrr cannot get my head around it!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
As you said a bit advanced LOL. Do a search in youtube, there are quite a few videos there. If you do one make doubly sure you have tour face mask etc on as get a catch and bits can go into orbit.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

arcos

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
Thanks Pete!

I have watched the vids on utube and still dont quite get the mechanics of it!

I tried two today... One went into orbit as it became real thin and the other... Well, dont ask!!!  ;D

Has anyone got any in the gallery that I can look at?

woody

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
You may be better of trying a square bowl first as the wings will be smaller and easier to handle then progress from there good luck
Here are a few bowls but the only advice I can give is have your lathe running as fast as you dare stop the lathe very often and watch the shadow very carefully oh and your knuckles

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
Have a look at a Bob Hamilton youtube video.
It is a bit slow but very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUeByxpbB9M&list=PL8A661B8BDD7F7F8D

Fred

arcos

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:17 AM »
Woody, beautiful bowls, particularly like the last pic!

Fred, great video and learned a LOT... Unfortunately now about the bowl I want to produce!

Perhaps I don't even know the name for it sorry! And it's not like Woodys photos either!

I saw a bowl some time ago, happened to have a natural edge, but suspect it doesnt have to... Could it be an angel wing bowl?

One thing that was great in the video Fred posted was the creation of a lidded box! Another one of my MUST DO's!

woody

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »
Is this of any help

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
I can't disagree with Woody's advice strongly enough.Run your lathe as SLOWLY as your skill allows, no matter what you are making, because speed equates to kinetic energy and, when things go pear shaped, all that energy has to be dissipated in heat,light&flight with unwanted and unrestricted results.
Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all agreed about everything?
Brian

arcos

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
I guess the middle photo from Woody is the one I am looking to achieve!  ;)

I have been playing with lathe speeds....

Yes, I never used to go above 1000rpm... Far too scary!

What I have found is that actually the faster rpm the less catches!

Now, with the higher rpm there are the obvious dangers and I certainly do NOT attempt to turn anything out of balance above 1000rpm and IF I go above that 'boundary' then I am WELL out of the way on start up AND whilst I have a chisel in my hands!!!

woody

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
Hi Arcos when I say run the lathe as fast as you dare I am talking about when the wood is as balanced up as it can be and the reason for the fast speed is when turning square shape bits of wood half of the time you are cutting air and the other half cutting wood if that makes sense and what you need to do is shorten the time between the two by speeding up the lathe but not to fast that the lathe wants to start dancing and the wood become air born it is a skill that takes a fare bit of learning which can only be gained with time spent doing good luck and happy turning

arcos

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »
Yep, got that Woody thanks!

It is certainly 'easier' to turn air at higher speed and I have found that it also makes for lighter touches of the chisel through absolute fear!!!  :-\