Author Topic: First of six...  (Read 3820 times)

arcos

First of six...
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
So, here is the first bowl of 6 required by a customer.

Olive, of course, with some nice worm holes and little cracks.

I am hoping that the shape is going to be easy(?) to replicate or perhaps be able to disguise the differences!

Finished with coule of coats of linseed oil and then a couple of coats of oil/varnish mix

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: First of six...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
A nice easy shape. As long as they are all similar people should not worry that they are not perfectly identicle. The differences will enable the to identify with a bowl as 'their's' and be proud of it.
I din't know about anyone else but I've only turned Olive a few times and love the way it works. I'm so jealous of your ready supply.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »

Arcos, 1 down ..  looks a nice chassic form, lovely flow to the outside, 2 small things, you've said about the little cracks, but 1 you've left part of the pith in the rim each side, which looks from the lines of discolouration may have cracks setting in already, but will more likely crack more as it seasons, if not fully dry, an 2 the transition form sidewall into the base is not crisp, you've a tool line, which breaks the flow, (if you've not gone flat across the bottom) not the easiest of cuts with change in direction and bevel contact or angle of the bevel even.

It's just what I've picked up and after all it's difficult from a picture and not first hand of the piece itself, only 5 more ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

arcos

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »
A nice easy shape. As long as they are all similar people should not worry that they are not perfectly identicle. The differences will enable the to identify with a bowl as 'their's' and be proud of it.
I din't know about anyone else but I've only turned Olive a few times and love the way it works. I'm so jealous of your ready supply.

Yes, nice easy shape... I HOPE... And I also hope that producing 5 more of these will allow for a few margins of error when it comes to shape/sizing!

If ever you fancy some olive just let me know! Not sure what Ryanair or Easyjet allowances are these days but feel free to come over and take some... I have TONS of the stuff!!  ;D

Jealous now???  ;D

DON'T BE!

Seasoned its pretty hard and properly seasoned it tends to crack in the most inconvenient places! Splitting the logs is a nightmare and should probably be done when green to avoid the radial splits, normally in three places through the whole log! Makes it a very frustrating wood to work with from nature! Especially when trying to create SIX similar sized pieces!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:34:25 PM »

Arcos, 1 down ..  looks a nice chassic form, lovely flow to the outside, 2 small things, you've said about the little cracks, but 1 you've left part of the pith in the rim each side, which looks from the lines of discolouration may have cracks setting in already, but will more likely crack more as it seasons, if not fully dry, an 2 the transition form sidewall into the base is not crisp, you've a tool line, which breaks the flow, (if you've not gone flat across the bottom) not the easiest of cuts with change in direction and bevel contact or angle of the bevel even.

It's just what I've picked up and after all it's difficult from a picture and not first hand of the piece itself, only 5 more ..

Cheers  David

David,

Thank you for the observations!

A couple of questions if I may...

"pith in the rim"... The two dark marks that can be seen in the rim are through the whole piece. These 'dark marks' are pretty 'normal' for the olive that I am turning. If I were to try and remove these completely I would end up with a saucer rather than a bowl and even then likely still have the samemarks on the rim. Whilst turning I have used, as the cracks appeared, used some superglue and fine shavings to try and fill the cracks on either side. In the past I have had good success in doing this. Yes, it still leaves a 'feature' but they tend not to split further. the wood is at least 2 years seasoned, granted, outside, but it is pretty dry!

Yep, I am not completely happy with the transition from side wall to base. The next 5 will not have such a harsh transition, likely I will not use this piece as one for the client piece! The transition is unclean and quite harsh. I am going to continue tomorrow and see if I can make the transition smoother and avoid the tool marks that endless hours of sanding will not remove!

That said, I have received FOUR "perfects" and 7 "beautifulls" this evening for this piece... Something money cannot buy!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
Looks good

Paul

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »
The two things that you need to make sure are the same are the diameter and the height. The curve should be as close as possible but is less noticeable iof slightly different. When turning the outside curve get the top diameter the same, then the height and then measure the diameter about hal;f way down the first and turn the curve sown until it matches.
Hope that helps

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

arcos

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
Thanks Paul!

Pete, I think thats about what I was aiming for, I think  ???

As the curve is pretty simple I guess the most importance has to be the height and diameter being 'spot on' with the curve being as close as possible.