Author Topic: Just acquired some Strawberry Tree!  (Read 6800 times)

arcos

Just acquired some Strawberry Tree!
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
Just been out to get some gas for the chainsaw and noticed that the hunters yesterday broke a chunk of of a Strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo

It has been on my list of things to try turning as the wood looks very red through the bark. I have just cut a small piece and quickly turned to see the colour of the wood below.... It's nearly white!  :-\

Quite disappointed actually as I thought it would be a reddish colour at least! Maybe when it dried?

So, I seem to be collecting a lot of 'white' wood with little graining.

Is there anything that I can do to make it look more interesting? I suppose staining may be an option but I never really like the look of stained wood.

Any other suggestions? (Please not fire wood!)  ;)

Offline davidbrac

• copper
Re: Just acquired some Strawberry Tree!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
it should dry with some pink fleck in it, subtle but very nice looking. However its hard to dry without cracking especially if left in the round. i suggest rough turning it or cutting the pith out to relieve the stress.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:16 AM »
It's nice timber - comes up with a lovely pinkish/reddish sheen when dry. Does crack a bit so turn it rough as Davidbrac suggests and leave it to dry out somewhere dark!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
I hope that whatever you make from it is nicer than that awful drink they make from the fruits - really an aquired taste!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
Ah thanks for the tips guys!

Unfortunately its not a huge piece, maybe 4" diameter.

I had thought bout having an attempt at making my first lidded box from it but if it's going to crack easily then maybe not.

Maybe have a try at my first oval, natural edge bowl. It does seem to turn really nicely at the moment, I guess because its so green!

Just dragged up a load of 'seasoned' olive wood from the bottom of the farm! I think I should have enough now to fulfill my 6 bowls and salad bowl order!

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
 Perfect for making Jam chucks  ;D
Martin Lawrence

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Martin, that's an awful joke!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »

arcos

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »
Oh and now....

I wish I was closer to some of you experienced turners!

I have just acquired a HUGE piece of Strawberry Tree root! So big It would not fit in the boot of my car and was borderline on the suspension!

It would be great to share some of it with you AND get some guidance on the best way to cut, segment and turn this beautiful piece of timber!

Whilst collecting the Strawberry Tree root I also picked up something I have NO idea about. Its a root from a shrub, I will get some photos tomorrow for identification. Basically I have been told that they make smoking pipes from the woo so I am guessing that it must be pretty hard wood! The root is almost completely round and I would appreciate some advice on the best way to handle it. The shrub grows like a weed here and everyone just digs them up and burns the roots to get rid of them!

I took a piece of the Strawberry Root that I picked up today and turned a small pendant (I find it a nice way to see how the wood turns and how it looks!) It is incredibly reddy/pink especially when cut with a saw. Again, I took a photo the little piece I cut today and it looks like a piece of steak!

Will post it later!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:08 PM »
The root may well be briar in which case it will be hard with a capital H.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

arcos

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »
Hi Pete

Just looked up Brier and it is definitely not that.

I will take the camera out tomorrow and get a couple of snaps of the small purple flowered shrub.

The root does appear to be INCREDIBLY hard and, even though a near perfect ball, I am not to sure what to/how to deal with in prior to mounting on the lathe. Do I try ans split if in two? I suspect thats probaby the better option rather than 'wasting' what could be a 2nd bowl!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »
Hi Arcos, When you have a Photograph of your Root post it and ask for advice of the Forum Members as to what to do they are a helpful bunch
I am sure George will be one of the first to offer advice. Regards John
John Smith

arcos

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »
Well, here is a piece of and off cut from the tree that I sliced off this afternoon to turn a little bowl...

The colour is amazing yes?

arcos

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
And thanks John.... As for the root, I will definitely get a photo in the morning and post it here for advice on how to slice and dice it!

I do hope that George can give me some good advice!

It is one hell of a lump and I can only just about pick it up but not carry it very far!!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
Arcos, Looking at that I will have mine done" Medium Rare" getting back to turning I think this will take some balancing up prior to turning.I am sure you will get some advice.Regards John
John Smith