Author Topic: Pewter moulds  (Read 4695 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Pewter moulds
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
I read somewhere that you can make moulds for pewter from plasticine or the equivalent. Does anyone know if this is true as if so it would allow for much more intricate shapes and designs. I don't want to try it unless I know for sure, molten pewter running all over the workshop doesn't really appeal.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Pewter moulds
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:37 AM »
There was a discussion on this about 18 months ago. If you put Pewter in the search box (above) it will bring up all threads with the word in,

here's a link to get you going; http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,287.0.html
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »
Cuttle fish is the usual material used for smallish items and is regularly available from pet shops.

john

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
dry wood works quite well,from what I`ve seen at demo`s,just turn to the shape you want then cast the pewter straight into the wooden mould,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
I think plasticine melts at fairly low temperatures so probably wouldn't be too good for pewter.

You can make your own silicone moulds using something like this http://www.greatart.co.uk/SILICONE%20RUBBER%20RTV%20HB-moulding-material-moulds.htm

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
I have some Celtic seals that I want to cast in pewter and use as medallions on goblets or bowls. Plasticine would be ideal as I can imprint the seal into it. I read that the melting point of plasticine was a good few degrees higher than pewter which is around the 140 degree mark. Using wood either limits you to simple shapes or involves a lot of fancy carving which would take ages and boost prices through the roof. As far as I cantell there is no reference to it on the forum. I may have an answer from someone. If so watch this space LOL.

Pete

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
Hello Pete,
              something I have done before now is make a dough with flour and water , add the imprint and bake.
regards
john BHT

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
You can make a mould using curable silicone available from somewhere like Hobbycraft. Dentists use silicone like this for teeth moulds as it sets very quickly and can be removed from the object in just a few minutes. I am pretty certain that this will stand up to molten pewter. Malcolm.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »
The casting pewter I use has a melting point of around 230C so I don't think I would want to rely on a plasticine mould.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Paul: I better check my facts a bit if 240 is the case as that is a heck of a lot more than I had researched. I agree, plasticine at that temperature may be a tad risky LOL.

Pete

BarryMobbs

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
Hello Pete,
 I think it is 240C as well. Barry

Paul Disdle

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
It depends on the composition of the pewter. 230-240C is at the top end of the pewter melting point spectrum.

Paul