Author Topic: Vicmarc VL200  (Read 6517 times)

ru55ell1

Vicmarc VL200
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
I was very excited when I treated myself to a (second hand) Vicmarc VL200 in December.

I got it in place in my shed in January and found that it was "unstable" when turning pieces (mostly bigger bowl roughings).

Various people put this down to the wooden floor in the shed and I got an engineering friend to "Clock" the Spindle which seemed OK (not under load)

I have since on a number of occasions tried to rough out some big pieces and when turning them (even when they get a bit more balanced) the tool is battered in my hands and the outcome is a roughed out bowl that is not circular. I have tried taking fine cuts which dont put the piece under a great load and this is better but not satisfactory.

Does anyone know if there are any service agents in the North or NorthWest or UK for Vicmarc before I email Austrailia.

My freind has got a VL300 and I have used that in the past to turn some pretty big bowls without this problem.

I do know that the Vicmarc agent is in Ullapool but I couldnt raise them, so thought I would try the collective knowledge of this forum.

I'm a tad miffed and am considering going back to my Axminster M950 and was ripping my hair out when Woody's Maxi sold before I saw it.

Please post if you can help

Regards Russell

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Vicmarc VL200
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
I'm not saying this is the answer but it might bear closer examination.

I have a friend with the V175. His headstock bearings went with similar effect.

A pain to replace but they are Car Wheel Bearings from the Aus Holden (part of the GM group) so probably fairly standard availability.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
are you able to show a photo of the lathe as vicmarc have changed the base a few times over the year, and what did you do about the wooden floor? also is it a vl200 short or long bed? as the shorts can be more unstable than the long.

My feeling it is to do with seating the base rather than the bearing

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Thanks for responses

Put 22mm chipboard underneath lathe (Need to take floor out when weather better and put concrete base in )

Its a VL200 Shortbed

Will try to get a pic on tomorrow as I have to go out in 10 mins :-)

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
Russell. Try putting a big blank into your chuck and then get hold of the blank with both hands and try and lift it. If you feel any movement no matter how slight then suspect your bearings.This is a way of checking to see if there is play in the bearings. Another check is to get a long screwdriver and place the tip on the headstock near where the shaft comes through and then with the lathe running put you ear to the top of the screwdriver like a doctor with a stethoscope and listen. If you hear any abnormal noises such  as clicking or grinding noises then your bearings are on the way out.
If after these checks you suspect the bearings any local engineering company should be able to change them as they will be available from a bearing stockist.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Terry.
Regards

Terry

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:20 PM »
my feeling is that the floor is moving as chipboard is not very stiff, you would be better off with ply or even a sheet of thick steel. However if the floor moves then a concrete base is the only real option. Just remember if the floor is moving then the lathe will be top heavy. A wooden floor may not be able to hold the weight of this lathe and if its moving then the nails/screws on the floor are most probably working loose.

Try the tests that Terry mentioned and if there is play then try adjusting the thrush bearing first, the manual explains how to do this. Beware that a worn belt can also be noisy

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »

Hi Russell,

There's so many unknown factors with a S/H Lathe as with anything, I'd go with the floor, why, of all the workshops (mainly garages) that I've had, I've now got all be it's a Heavy Duty Workshop, a timber construction and floor, I've found I get alot of noise off my lathe, a Mystro on heavy steel bench than ever before, so much I got concerned to almost take in apart, moved it round even and put down a secondary laminate wood floor, but it's the thin or lack of timber bearers.

I'd not consider your need to take yours apart, check as mentioned, one thing which can happen to most any lathe is the pulleys work losse on the shaft, there's normally two grub screws, a top one locking a second underneath, if it wears on the key this can setup movement.

Hope that it's simple and there's not the likelihood you'll need the concrete pad, brace yourself ...   ;D ..

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

ru55ell1

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »
Have tried to get pics on here but no sucsess.

I wil try out all your suggestions and update asap.

many thanks

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
is it variable speed,I have a paving slab floor with 2 layers of OSB board atop that,my old lathe used to dance evrywhere,but only weighed 97kilos and on a pressed steel frame,my new lathe a 3520B doesn`t move,if the speed selected is right,ie if it dances lower the speed until it stops and that cures it,but it does weigh 326 kilos,if your lathes weighs less than 150 kilos I`d say its just the offbalance weight making it dance,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

ru55ell1

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
Happy Days

The weather picked up enough on saturday to get my lathe out on the patio (3 of us) and low and behold it works fine on a solid floor. So its out with the Jigsaw, cut out a piece of floor, shutter it up and pour some concrete.
Doing this as a temporary until new shed is built later in the year with a solid floor.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:41:41 AM »
Glad you got it sorted Russell, nothing like a vibration to put you off .
Regards
John
BHT