Author Topic: Rust Prevention  (Read 6035 times)

Paul Disdle

Rust Prevention
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Hi

I have a unheated workshop and some of my tools due to the damp pick up a little rust so I was wondering, what are people using to just protect there tools, chucks, cutters etc. I notice Axminster are now selling dry lube (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-dry-lubricant-prod883641/?searchfor=dry%20lube) has anybody tried this.

Thanks

Paul

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
Re: Rust Prevention
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »
Hi Paul,
Never tried dry-lub, I just spray with WD40 on my chucks and lathe beds etc and find I have no issues with rust. For tools I use the same but wipe off a few minutes after appling.
Ken (Lowestoft)

woody

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
I used to use the spray silicone it is fantastic stuff and it was free a friend used to bring it home from work for me

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
I am a big fan of WD40 also, my unheated shed gets quite damp this time of year
but to date not too many issues with the WD40. Don't forget to spray the teeth and
blades on your saws as well otherwise you will be buying new bandsaw blades in the spring.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

woody

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »
I just had a look at your link and it is the same stuff I referred dry ptfe the good thing about it is it dose dry so the dust wont stick to it and it is a very good lubricant I used it on all my woodworking tools and machines go for it
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:48:47 PM by woody »

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »
I agree with Woody ptfe is the best as it's a dry lubricant and is the same as teflon and keeps all parts free from seizing up.

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:46 AM »

I had used WD40 during many Jobs: but a year or so back I got sold in more ways than a sell, on GT85, it works faster, cleaner effective penetrator,, non-sticky lubrication,  water displacer and rustproofer, which has PTFE and not silicon.

I can't fault it, works well on what I've used it for so far.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
I use allot of green wood and at the end of the day after clearing up the shavings I spray any bare metal with either wd40 or ambersil 40+ I then just wipe it off the next day and start turning. If I know I’m going to be leaving something unused for longer than a week or two I use scottoiler 365 anti rust spray or acf 50 spray, I find these sprays form a thicker layer and last a long time they are especially useful of items like my bandsaw table which will rust very fast if left untreated.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
David,

I knew I'd seen a penetrating spray with PTFE but could not remember where, thanks for pointing me at it - GT85 here I come.

I have not looked at the cost of the Axminster PTFE spray, but Screwfix do a version as well and there are a few more of their shops around than Axminster Shops.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas, I currently use screwfix rust barrier but that leaves a slightly tacky surface for sawdust etc.

Working on price I shall give GT85 a go.

Axminster dry lub £7.55
Screwfix wd40 dry lube £7.99
Amaxon GT85 £2.96

Thanks

Paul

ru55ell1

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
I have got a couple of 100 Watt Greenhouse heaters which at this time of the year keep off the moisture in my shed. I "found" mine at a boot fair but they are available at URL below, and I'm sure elsewhere.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+2005+205825&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=greenhouse+heater&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

I know they burn electricity but I personally think its worth it.

Richard Stapley

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »
You should be aware that both Silicolne and PTFE are typical Non-Slip Surface Treatments [Non Stick Pans ect] and as such will repel Glue and Polishes so do not get any on Turned Wood or Wood you intend Glueing.

I've heard of Wood Workshops banning these from the workshop.

Richard

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
The last point is well made. Before retirement, I worked in an adhesive tape coating site where silicone sprays were banned because airborne silicone containing matter kills adhesive properties. Keep your wood away when spraying, especially if you do alot of gluing, like I do for segmented turnings. Malcolm.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
One of the best ways to prevent rust forming on your lathe best is give it a rub over with candle wax.
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
I use allot of green wood and at the end of the day after clearing up the shavings I spray any bare metal with either wd40 or ambersil 40+ I then just wipe it off the next day and start turning. If I know I’m going to be leaving something unused for longer than a week or two I use scottoiler 365 anti rust spray or acf 50 spray, I find these sprays form a thicker layer and last a long time they are especially useful of items like my bandsaw table which will rust very fast if left untreated.

George, you came up with the one I was trying to recall that one of the firms I'd work for used or I had used, as it was good, then I think there was a range for different applications, as with most brands out there.

I noticed today out shopping that WD40 200ml cans are marked No Silicon, a first as WD do not give the contents of it's product.

Ah...  now when I was growing up Dad had 3in1 for just about everything or a wipe over with dirty old engine oil, garden tools never rusted, and a gunsmith recommended I should use it on the gun for the carbon in the oil, never did, 3in1 ...

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''