Author Topic: Regrinding of Chisels  (Read 11664 times)

Devchef1

Regrinding of Chisels
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
Well Hello to you all  :)

My first post on the forum so please be gentle lol ,

I am new to the world of Woodturning ( well two weeks in  ;D and really getting the bug and enjoying making plenty of experiments for the log burner LOL

I purchased a small lathe from Ebay which came with 4 chisels then I purchased a second hand set from Ebay (item number 261152793362) of various sizes but i believe them to be of good quality and make.

Whilst i completely understand the need to keep them sharp ( been a chef and using Knives :-) )  i think that the previous owner was lets say "Not the best at sharpening" and even my untrained eyes can see there are issues.

Is there a company or way that I can get my chisels re-honed so that they are correct so that i may start from a good point and keep them sharp and correct.

Hope you can help.

Mike

Offline John

• bronze
Re: Regrinding of Chisels
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Welcome,
The easy answer join a club and seek advise from experienced turners. (A list of clubs is on the main AWGB site)
An alternative Buy a grinding from a firm like Robert Sorby. You will be sharpening often (several times for each project)
Hope this helps
John
John English

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
Hello Fellow Newbie,

Sharpening is a bit daunting isn't it ?

I started using a jig for a standard grindstone that I made from plans in the excellent book by Keith Rowley. I have now got the Sorby Pro Edge, which I find very good and easy to use.

You don't reveal your location but, if you are any where near Margate then you are more than welcome to come round to mine and have a sharpen !  :)

Regards & Welcome,

Bob.  :)  :)
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Devchef1

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
Hi thanks for the advice , have emailed my local club already but as of yet had no response  :(

I live just outside Stafford upon Avon ( which has its own club )

I am in the process of getting my grinder and jig sorted but i think they need an expert sharpen and reshaping , and then it will be easier to keep a true edge rather than try to sharpen a badly ground chisel

Thanks for the offer of a " Grind" but i feel Margaret is a little to far :)

Mike

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
Devchef1,

I've nothing to add to the sharpening of your tools, all the good stuffs been said,

but welcome to the forum and we look forward to you posting a piece too good for the log burner in the near future.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum and wooodturning, Mike,

You should be able to have help from the Club and someone there.. Having had a look at what you've got there's a Crown Pro bowl gouge, the square grind looks good, main of the others are Hamlet and it looks as if the 1/4 & 3/8 spindle gouges have been miss ground to points as with the 1/2" spindle.  Diamond parting tool looks OK, as with the 2 scapers, 2 skews and the roughing out gouge, not sure as to how safe or what the short yellow handle gouge is, it has a long tag, someone will advise when they see it. You don't look to have a beading/parting tool, then it depends on which way you what to go with your turning, mainly bowl or spindle work, as you've the sindle tools, it's always best to understand and master sindle turning and the laws of cutting downhill with the grain, Bob has already expressed on the excellent book by Keith Rowley "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" ISBN 1 86108 114 6. everyone has owned this book, but may not lay claims to it.   ;D ....

You've got some of the better gouges there. You'll also find that once you progress with your turning you will alter the grinds to what you find are best for you, everyone has their own long wing grind, as you'll find and hear.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
Hello Mike Welcome to the Forum

The Club at Stratford-upon-Avon is Heart of England if you go along to their next meeting an introduce yourself with a view to joining I am sure you will find quite a number of members who would be willing to help you.I think the next meeting is February 11th it is a Bring and Buy evening so you may also pick up a few bargins.Regards John 
John Smith

Devchef1

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

Welcome to the forum and wooodturning, Mike,

You should be able to have help from the Club and someone there.. Having had a look at what you've got there's a Crown Pro bowl gouge, the square grind looks good, main of the others are Hamlet and it looks as if the 1/4 & 3/8 spindle gouges have been miss ground to points as with the 1/2" spindle.  Diamond parting tool looks OK, as with the 2 scapers, 2 skews and the roughing out gouge, not sure as to how safe or what the short yellow handle gouge is, it has a long tag, someone will advise when they see it. You don't look to have a beading/parting tool, then it depends on which way you what to go with your turning, mainly bowl or spindle work, as you've the sindle tools, it's always best to understand and master sindle turning and the laws of cutting downhill with the grain, Bob has already expressed on the excellent book by Keith Rowley "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" ISBN 1 86108 114 6. everyone has owned this book, but may not lay claims to it.   ;D ....

You've got some of the better gouges there. You'll also find that once you progress with your turning you will alter the grinds to what you find are best for you, everyone has their own long wing grind, as you'll find and hear.

Cheers David

David

Thank you for your response.

You have confirmed my suspicions regarding the spindle gouges been wrong :) the diamond parting tool has been ground down uneven at the point so its lop sided lol, but think i got myself a bargin at £46 for the lot :)

So once i get them to how they are supposed to be i will be a happy chappy,

Can you suggest a nice parting tool that would be good for a novice ?

Mike

Devchef1

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

The Club at Stratford-upon-Avon is Heart of England if you go along to their next meeting an introduce yourself with a view to joining I am sure you will find quite a number of members who would be willing to help you.I think the next meeting is February 11th it is a Bring and Buy evening so you may also pick up a few bargins.Regards John 

John

That's what intitally thought but the diary they have up is from 2011 !!!!!!!  and Feb 11th this years is on a Monday

Mike

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:04 PM »

Hi Mike,

Everyone will differ as to the best manufacture or tools and there's lots of brands to choice from, if you like the feel of the Hamlet or Crown you may wish to stay with one of their tools, a 3/8 (6mm) is a good size to go for and will soon size down for layout and tenons, less you want to go for fine or tight detail with beads, then maybe a smaller size, but I've never found the need and a 3/8 has always been fine, then the skew is the master, if mastered for rolling beads.  Should at some point you'd want to make boxes, then you'd need to think about the 1/16 thin parting tool.

The awgb website has a range of Corporate Members under links, top names who supply almost everthing you could ever need and should you become a member of the Club, an the awgb a discount from some, that's if you don't find one before hand.

Have a look anyway at the Corporate Members, Peter Child's has some interesting topics for any first time turner.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
Hi Mike  --  Welcome to the forum. I too am very new to turning having only had
the new Late for a month or two, I joined my local club a year or so ago and have
gained so much knowledge from the members and the demo days that they have.
I have also been on some of the AWGB Training Sesions offered by the senior
members of the AWGB and found these to be invaluable as a learning tool, the last one
was with Chris Eagles (what a fantastic day out). There is also a wealth of good advice
on Utube that is worth looking at together with videos on manufactuers sites such as
Robert Sorby. Enjoy your turning and have safe fun with it
Oh and keep feeding the wood burner - it's cold in my shed ! :-\   --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

ru55ell1

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
Join a club (the best thing you could possibly do) have a try with a few members different jig setups before you plump for yours.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »

John

That's what intitally thought but the diary they have up is from 2011 !!!!!!!  and Feb 11th this years is on a Monday

Mike

Mike

I recently demoed at the club so they are still active. I think I sent you a PM with the contact details. If you don't get it let me know and I'll try again

Mark

Offline Terry Miller

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:06:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mike. Mick Hanbury does a DVD on sharpening which you can get direct from his website - just google his name for the website.

Regards

Terry
Regards

Terry

Devchef1

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »

John

Mike

Mike

I recently demoed at the club so they are still active. I think I sent you a PM with the contact details. If you don't get it let me know and I'll try again

Mark

Mark

PM received and reply sent Thank you