Author Topic: Another piece of olive...  (Read 3250 times)

arcos

Another piece of olive...
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
This is my 3RD attempt at posting this!

Damn the thunderstorms!

I turned this piece mainly to have a practice at removing the tenon as from previous posts.

It's turne out ok, nothing brilliant and I tried a slightly different shaping just for interest.

It's a bit 'heavier' than I would like and I'm not overly happy with the end result.

Critique please!

A friend saw it yesterday and suggested that, slightly bigger, it would make a great soup bowl! Aside from the creature tracks I guess  ;)

Anyway, the tenon bit was ok apart from difficulty in getting access to the tenon with the tailstock in place... Any suggestions?

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: Another piece of olive...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
Hi arcos,
            there are a few ways of finishing the bottom of a bowl. My least favourite is to turn a dovetailed recess and hold the bowl in the jaws in expansion mode. I think that looks naff even when filled in. Another way is to reverse it and turn the foot off leaving a small cone which is easily nipped off with a chisel. My favourite method is to reverse chuck it, either in a jam chuck or padded jaws. You can then turn some detail on the foot which says you have paid attention to it.
Hope this helps
Regards
John BHT

arcos

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
Ah, thats it, jam chuck... Thats what I kind of made but it was the tailstock holding the bowl that cause me the problems.

I guess I will just have to play around a bit until I get it.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »
Arcos,

Don’t be so hard on yourself, we’d all like to be perfectionists and make everything absolutely right, all the time, honest, - we’d like to! On top of that you’re just starting out on this journey with wood.

You say it looks a ‘bit heavy’, I’d say solid, but the shape hold that well and does not look ungainly.

A couple of beasty trails, a couple of tool marks, but as you say, ‘It’s an experiment in removing a tenon’. Did you learn anything – good then it was a success.

As for a soup bowl, what do you think our forebears ate out of and predecessors at the lathe made, and out of Olive, I think that would be a fantastically rustic idea – you might just have a market at that one.

As for this one how about making it a matching pestle for grinding spices etc.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

arcos

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
dr4g0nfly

It was a really nice learning process, even making a 'jam chuck' of sorts to turn the tenon out, and it worked SECOND time  ;)

"Solid" is a great word... Much 'nicer' than heavy!

Beastie trails yes but NO tool marks! Not even on the first image ;)

It was suggested to me yesterday by a friend that a pestle would work really well with this piece.. Hmm maybe I should have a crack at it!

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

Arcos,

This is a very nice piece, and yes it needs a pestle, you've more of a rustic mortar which are usually Olive wood than a soup bowl, your on to something, maybe the cafe could grind it's coffee with the likes ...   ;D

Your doing well.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »
Looks good, nice wood