Author Topic: Comments on this appreciated....  (Read 2408 times)

arcos

Comments on this appreciated....
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
So, whilst scouring the internet for something TOTALLY unrelated to wood turning I cam across this...

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/olivewood-4.72x3.5-nibble-bowl/s251529

Perfectly serviceable, quite 'nice'(?) looking... CHEAP AS CHIPS?

Just interested in peoples viewpoints on the pricing of this type of bowl.

Call it idle curiosity

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Comments on this appreciated....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:40:19 AM »
Well it's an American site, one of the comments is from Boston MA., so there is a lot of shipping costs (not shown) to go on top of that as well as any additional treatments needed to cover the IR 15 regulation for the international movement of wood (kill all the bugs and fungus').

So they (like you) have a healthy supply of very cheap Olivewood. Take a scan down this page http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Hardwoods/Tropical_Timbers/tropical_timbers.html, a 5" bowl blank to us is over £12.

Also it's not turned, probably gouged out very quickly with something like an Arbortech and smoothed on disc and belt sanders to an 'acceptable' finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
looks as rough as old boots to me, you get what you pay for and I wouldn't pay for this one.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
I was asked to quote for something similar for a UK retailer a while back. They were looking for a "more reliable" source than the one they currently were using overseas. Needless to say I declined!