Author Topic: Using veneers  (Read 4574 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Using veneers
« on: December 30, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »
I have quite a lot of veneers in various woods and want to use them to put inlays in things. One way is to put them in as circles on the top of little boxes and I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to cut the circles? I have been Googling punches etc but as yet have only found metal punches of any decent size. I can't see that cutting accurate neat circles with a scalpel would be cost effective or accurate.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Using veneers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »
Personally I'd go with old holesaws, if you grind off the teeth and take them down to a sharp edge you can cut most things.

Better yet they come in loads of sizes. The only problem I've ever had is finding people with worn out ones!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »
Have you looked at wad punches? They are really for leather but I'm sure they would cut veneer.

Or another alternative - Circle cutters for art/craft projects are available from art suppliers that can be used to cut circles of various sizes. Really intended for paper etc. but I'm sure they would cut veneer if you try it. I have one I use for cutting circles when I'm airbrushing with masking film and that one will go from almost zero up to around 150mm.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
Have you tried sharpening one leg of a pair of dividers into tiny cutting edge?

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »
if you want something that will last, be fast, and accurate but not cheap then go for badge cutter, you can also resharpen them.
did a quick google but you should be able to find them cheaper than this
http://www.blankbadge.co.uk/g-series-adjustable-circle-cutter-25mm---75mm-368-p.asp

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »
Or another alternative - Circle cutters for art/craft projects are available from art suppliers that can be used to cut circles of various sizes. Really intended for paper etc. but I'm sure they would cut veneer if you try it. I have one I use for cutting circles when I'm airbrushing with masking film and that one will go from almost zero up to around 150mm.

Hi Pete, I agree with Paul's suggestion and have used one of these circle cutters on veneers. The good news is they use replaceable scalpel blades so you can make sure you've always got a sharp blade (but a diamond hone works on them to give a few more cuts for free). The bad news is they have a centre point so you either have to put up with a pin prick at the centre, or temporarily stick a piece of scrap veneer in the middle while you cut the circle. And I would only advise cutting one veneer thickness at a time.
I can't remember where I got mine but lots of companies sesll them, e.g. do a search on Amazon.co.uk for "Knives Craft Compass Cutter" and you will see what I mean.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »
Thanks for the ideas and replies. I have looked at paper cutting tools for card makers etc and most are too small but the circle cutters seem a possibility I want to avoid 'compass' type cutters because of the central hole created but hadn't thought of having a small piece of scrap there doh! I'll look up some of the other ideas and see what is available

pete

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
Hello Pete,
               see me at the next club night and we can make arrangements for you to visit my shed where I can show you how I do mine.
regards
John

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »
Thanks John, I'll take you up on that.

Pete

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »
On the centre point on the compass / circle cutters - one tip I saw was to cut up an old plastic milk container and use a small square of that to protect whatever was underneath the point. I guess if it is slipping, a bit of double sided tape could be used to keep it in place temporarily.