Author Topic: Checker wood bowl  (Read 3814 times)

woody

Checker wood bowl
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
This is the 10" x 3" checker wood bowl I turned when testing my new Vresa chuch finished with Fiddes hard wax oil

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Checker wood bowl
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
Woody,

maybe I did not pick up on it previously, but...eh, 'What's checker wood' please?

I remember the unfinished product, this looks great and the wood is so pale (checker from the Chess & checkers board wooden squares?)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
Woody,

maybe I did not pick up on it previously, but...eh, 'What's checker wood' please?

I remember the unfinished product, this looks great and the wood is so pale (checker from the Chess & checkers board wooden squares?)
It is one of our oldest wild woodland trees
Wild Service Tree (Sorbus torminalis)

Distinct from the Service Tree (Sorbus domesticus), the Wild Service Tree, also known as the "Chequer Tree, checker tree", is now one of our rarest native trees, concentrated in the southern Weald, where it is associated with ancient woodland and clay soils. At a distance Wild Service Trees can be mistaken for Acers in the autumn when their leaves turn bright red and copper. It flowers beautifully, however, in May.
The Wild Service Tree suckers freely, which is just as well as its crop of fruit - or "chequers" - is almost entirely predated by birds and insects. The fruit is edible for us once frosted and softened; it was a Neolithic staple and remained popular into the 19th century. Inevitably folk also made wine out of it, served at Chequers Inns - 

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »
Coming from Kent (originally) Service Trees I know, but I'd never heard the term 'Checker' before regarding them.

And I remember you turning Service wood previously.

Thank you for the detail and especially the origin of the Pub Name.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Jim

• bronze
    • Penturners
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
It is the first piece that i have seen using this wood Woody, it looks very clean with an high polish on it .. Looks very nice ...  :)

woody

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
It is a wonderful wood to turn with shavings flying over your shoulder in a continual stream and the finish of the tool is excellent if ever you are able to lay your hands on any it is well worth having a go at this is only the second time I have managed to get hold of some the last time was about 10 years ago I still have a few planks left

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:20:49 AM »

Woody, thank you you for sharing the wonderful bowl and interesting details.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
A very interesting wood and what a superb finish.