Author Topic: belts for vicmarc lathes  (Read 3592 times)

Offline davidbrac

• copper
belts for vicmarc lathes
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
were are people buying belts for vicmarc lathers l need a belt for a VL300 which is
Poly-V Belt J 10 690

I have just had one sent to me from a local supplier and its the wrong size. I was told by the supplier that vicmarc measure their belts incorrectly as 690mm in the circumference of a belt not the length.  were as vicmarc state 690mm as the length

thanks for your help

David

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Re: belts for vicmarc lathes
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
Phil Irons is a Vicmarc agent.
phil irons woodturning uk (VM-UK Ltd)

TONY MALIN

Offline Roger Lowry

• iron
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
I believe that Phil Irons is no longer a VicMarc agent.  I understand that  a guy in Ullapool has now got the dealership. Belts obtained from VM will be extremely expensive.  Try Googling Poly Ve Belt suppliers - there are plenty.   If you find a local one, take the belt along and they can either measure it or if it has any identifying marks come up with an equivalent belt.  Best of luck

Roger

Richard Stapley

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
David the 690 in the Code should be the Length = Circumfrance, I would suggest you take the Old Belt to your local Supplier who you can find in Yellow Pages, look under "Bearings" or "Bearings and Transmissions" they should be able to advise you.

Worth remembering as they can also supply the Bearings for the Lathe should you ever need them.

Richard

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
yep Phil is no longer the vicmarc agent and the Ullapool agent does not seem to stock items but gets them sent directly to you from vicmarc, which is why l am trying the online method.

Went to a local bearing shop to see if they had a belt, no but can get one in £25 plus £7 bring in charge, plus a £5 handling charge and Vat on all. The bringing in charge & handeling charge wound me up a bit so hence why l am trying the online route.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
Try http://simplybearings.co.uk I have been told they will either stock the belt you want or will make it up and are cheap.

john