Author Topic: Common ol Privet  (Read 3337 times)

woody

Common ol Privet
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
I made some pens this morning 3 Pristena which is a wonderfully engineered kit in from left to right Privet which is a wonderfull wood to turn it is very dence ,Cherry Burr and Rippled Sycamore.
 I also made 2 Victor pens in Spalted Burr Elm and a Myrtle Burr

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Common ol Privet
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
I enjoy turning garden  shrubs, Berberis being my favourite for it's green streaks, but I've never thought about common privet, it has a wonderful grain, is that normal for the timber?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
I enjoy turning garden  shrubs, Berberis being my favourite for it's green streaks, but I've never thought about common privet, it has a wonderful grain, is that normal for the timber?
That was the first for me so I'm not sure it is very much like box to turn and this bit has some spalting in it

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
Gorse Bush is very interesting.

petercharlesfagg

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
I am envious of your skills.

The timbers look very attractive, pity Privet doesn't get to my usual bowl dimensions, up to 30 inches!

The pens look extremely useful pieces.

Regards Peter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:39 AM »

Woody, just when we think you can't come up with something new in a timber, there you go ...   ;D ..

I always like what you make with the kits and woods and I like the Spalted Burr Elm it has and it may just be me, a face in the cap ..  8) ..

Cheers       David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:21:39 AM »
You are so right Victor a lot if not most of the timber in smaller shrubbery is beautifully grained and the right oils and finishes can bring it out for all to see and in pen turning particularly with the delicate curves and shapes that we turn them makes the grain pop just as your fine examples prove in such a stunning way thanks for sharing and highlighting the beauty of the humble Privet. ;-)

woody

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »

Woody, just when we think you can't come up with something new in a timber, there you go ...   ;D ..

I always like what you make with the kits and woods and I like the Spalted Burr Elm it has and it may just be me, a face in the cap ..  8) ..

Cheers       David

ace before
Thanks for that Dave I hadn't noticed the face before and thank you all for your very kind comments