Author Topic: pen mandrills  (Read 3464 times)

pedro68

pen mandrills
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
hi everyone , i was looking for some advice about pen turning, i have a ols sheppach lathe and the drive has no morse taper for a pen mandrill, how do i overcome this ,i have a selby chuck on the lathe and wondered if there was an attachment i could put in this that would hace a morse taper, or any other suggestions you may have . i have tried sourcing these type of thing on the internet but with no success . any help would be great as  i hoped to get a few pens turned for xmas . thanks in advance .

Peter

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: pen mandrills
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
I very rarely use the morse taper part of the mandrel these days I prefer a collet chuck to hold the bar I use this one with a collet of the right size for this bar and screw they used to sell the bar and screw separately which was cheaper so it might be worth ringing them.

Also if you have never turned pens before have a look at my site here for a WIP on pen making.

john

pedro68

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
hi John, thanks for getting back to me , i followed the line to Axminster and saw the collet you suggested , my question now is which pen manrel do i buy , the standard one which comes in either 1,2 morse taper or a straight fitting and how do these attach to the collet, and they also offer a deluxe mandrel and again how would i attach this to the drive ,they also mention what thread i would prefer but i have no idea. sorry if these are stupid questions but i cant see a discription or diagram where i  can put it together in my mind , i dont want to spend my money then realise i have the wrong thing.i checked out your site and found the demos excellent and i will be attempting a few of you projects myself and thanks again for your help.

Peter

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
With a collett chuck you would only require the madrel and nut, I know that Rotur, and Timberbits (Austrailian, reliable and good prices) both sell these seperatly from the MT

As for the tread size you would require for the collett chuck, there is a link below, from "Peter Childs" which should help with the type of lathe to spindle tread size  http://www.peterchild.co.uk/chucks/threads.htm