Author Topic: Black paper  (Read 6086 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Black paper
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »
I have been browsing through some overseas club websites and found one from Glendale in the USA. Whilst looking at some of their gallery items I noticed that some had inclusions of "black paper" and "fish paper" in them. Has anyone heard of this before? Is it ordinary black paper? and what is fish paper?
Regards
John

admalin

Re: Black paper
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
Hi John
Fish paper is a special paper used as an electrical insulator, often as a backing for mica. It is an american term. I've just spoken to one of our leadfing insulation engineers, who told me it is not a term used in this country.
That leads me to the obvious questions. How did the inclusions get there, and how were they identified ?

Tony Malin

admalin

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
Hi again John
Little grey cells kept niggling.
Can't find any meaningful reference to black paper. However bitumen is another substance which used to be widely usd as an insulator before the advent of synthetic resins.
My guess is that in this context it is paper coated or impregnated with bitumen.

Tony Malin

admalin

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
Hi yet again
The niggling carried on during lunch
Why "fish". I've discounted "scales". But for best insulating properties the paper should be as moisture proof as possible.
In the best engineering tradition when looking for a name for a new product try something with a connection.
So what's more waterproof than a fish? I'll bet the inventor had a dry sense of humour!!

Tony Malin

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:12 PM »
Hi Tony,
            sorry you have been so "hooked" on this :D I didn't mean to send you off in the wrong direction but think I may have. The black paper was put in deliberately to show a thin black line as a decoration but the fish paper has me baffled.
 But, I wouldn't have thought that ordinary black paper is suitable for laminating as it could split apart 'cos that's how we do some of our joints that need to seperate. Any Americans listening? do they term veneer as paper? and what is fish paper?
I did send an e-mail asking about it but as yet have had no reply.
Regards
John

admalin

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
Hi John
I suppose it was my fault for not properly understanding the question.
To me an inclusion is something embedded. Diamonds have inclusions.
If we are talking about something sandwiched between two bits of wood that's completely different.
I'd like to see the exhibits in question. Have you got the like to the relevant Glendale site?

ANYWAY fishpaper is definitely what I said it is.

Tony Malin

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
Hi Tony,
            just google Glendale Woodturners Guild and it will take you there and then just browse through the member's gallery. There is some nice stuff on there.
Regards
John

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »

I've had a look and this should be the link:   http://www.woodturners.org/.. it's Floyd Pedersen, Earleen Ahrens & Dave Hergersheimer gallery, looks thin as if it is just paper, you'll hopefully hear as to what they are.

The rest is also very interesting, not just the gallery, but the tips, lot to learn as always from State side...  ??? ....

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »
Hi all,
I have received a repy from Glendale woodturning Guild. Tony you were right, it is an electrical paper. Apparently this is used a lot in America by segmented turners. I imagine the black paper reffered to is the same thing.
Regards
John

Just goes to show woodturners are a helpful,friendly bunch the world over.

admalin

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Hi John
I'm still persuing this subject to get more information on fishpaper. I've already got some interesting bits, but you'll have to stay in suspense for a little longer.
You may wonder why the persistence. I'm a retired electrical engineer. Insulation was an important component in our products, and caused me more than a few headaches.
Anyway I got the basic information on it in the first place from the "dreaded" Wikipedia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Tony Malin