Author Topic: CBN wheels - update  (Read 4935 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
CBN wheels - update
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:06 AM »
I have now owned a CBN wheel for a short while and after previous comments by members members thought you may like some feedback.
I realise one of the pleasures of woodturning is to make something for very little cost and I have just smashed this concept as my wheel cost just over £200.00 , I do carry a sense of guilt particularly as I am not a professional turner- so was it worth it ?
Have a look at my grinder- I have owned it for some 30 yrs and could never eliminate the vibration from it, it had to be bolted down.  When I fitted the new wheel things got a whole lot worse!  The wheel was a precision tool yet I couldn't dress the wheel radially, this meant in use the tools bounced on the cutting surface. It was obvious the grinder needed looking at if I was to achieve the perfect edge.
There were two things causing my grinder to vibrate- wheel flanges that were not machined accurately and a poor quality white wheel fitted to the other side.  At this point I felt worse, I knew I had to replace the other grinding wheel as well.  I took Nick's advice in an earlier thread and bought a good quality ceramic wheel, the total cost now was £240.00!
My bench grinder now purrs- you can balance a coin on the tool rest and it will stay there, what I have I learnt? 
There is no need for an expensive grinding wheel to remove vibration or achieve a sharp edge- look on u- tube to see how this is done if you have a problem with your grinder.  The CBN wheel does produce an excellent edge and doesn't wear, this means my jig can be indexed  without ever needing to compensate for radial wear.
You can also use the edge of the wheel to produce a flat grind.
It is a mistake to buy bottom end wheels - in my case I couldn't eliminate bounce and vibration from them and believe me I tried!
Owning a precision tool such as the CBN wheel highlighted it was my bench grinder that was the problem and ultimately the other wheel.  I could have solved this problem by not  purchasing an expensive CBN wheel, but i can honestly say it is a pleasure to use and the speed and ease you can achieve a perfect edge is second to none.
         Regards.   Haggy

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: CBN wheels - update
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:33 AM »
Haggy I am pleased it all worked out well for you and well done for solving your "bounce" problems. You seem very happy with the outcome and that is part and parcel of getting enjoyment from your wood turning. I still maintain that it is a lot of money to spend and personally I wouldn't do it.
Happy grinding. :D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
Perhaps part of it John is that you have massive experience in the wood working industry and can get a good edge on a cheapo superstore lathe simply by having that experience. Having seen the edge you get with your gear I can't help but think that for many of us the answer isn't so much getting super grinders and fancy wheels but a bit of training in sharpening techniques.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
I always said I wouldn't do it either .. but I just did! New grinder and CBN wheel ;) I haven't set it up yet but I will hopefully do that soon.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
Thanks for your encouragement BHT, from what Pete says you simply don't need one and the £200.00 would be better spent elsewhere.
  I would be interested to hear how you get on with yours Paul H., I found you have to get the CBN wheel set up just right and used a dial gauge indicator to help remove  lateral movement.   I got my wheel within a tolerance of +\~ .001 of an inch using masking tape as a shim,  I am now really delighted with its performance.  Prior to this there was too much bounce, the wheel sounded like a bell.  Good luck Paul and I hope it makes a difference.
           Haggy

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »
Haggy just a tip if you need it again, pepsi cola cans are tin and make useful shim, other makes use Ali. so not so good.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
I have now owned a CBN wheel for a short while and after previous comments by members members thought you may like some feedback.
I realise one of the pleasures of woodturning is to make something for very little cost and I have just smashed this concept as my wheel cost just over £200.00 , I do carry a sense of guilt particularly as I am not a professional turner- so was it worth it ?
Have a look at my grinder- I have owned it for some 30 yrs and could never eliminate the vibration from it, it had to be bolted down.  When I fitted the new wheel things got a whole lot worse!  The wheel was a precision tool yet I couldn't dress the wheel radially, this meant in use the tools bounced on the cutting surface. It was obvious the grinder needed looking at if I was to achieve the perfect edge.
There were two things causing my grinder to vibrate- wheel flanges that were not machined accurately and a poor quality white wheel fitted to the other side.  At this point I felt worse, I knew I had to replace the other grinding wheel as well.  I took Nick's advice in an earlier thread and bought a good quality ceramic wheel, the total cost now was £240.00!
My bench grinder now purrs- you can balance a coin on the tool rest and it will stay there, what I have I learnt? 
There is no need for an expensive grinding wheel to remove vibration or achieve a sharp edge- look on u- tube to see how this is done if you have a problem with your grinder.  The CBN wheel does produce an excellent edge and doesn't wear, this means my jig can be indexed  without ever needing to compensate for radial wear.
You can also use the edge of the wheel to produce a flat grind.
It is a mistake to buy bottom end wheels - in my case I couldn't eliminate bounce and vibration from them and believe me I tried!
Owning a precision tool such as the CBN wheel highlighted it was my bench grinder that was the problem and ultimately the other wheel.  I could have solved this problem by not  purchasing an expensive CBN wheel, but i can honestly say it is a pleasure to use and the speed and ease you can achieve a perfect edge is second to none.
         Regards.   Haggy

Haggy, flipped and resized, hope don't mine, better viewing, if not an answer to the question.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
Thankyou woodndesign, not sure what I did wrong in the first place.  I need to think more when I mess about with IT.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »
Thankyou woodndesign, not sure what I did wrong in the first place.  I need to think more when I mess about with IT.

Looks a nice tidy setup, will see you out for the next 30+yrs. As you've said, once indexed you'll get the same repeated grind.

IT ... It's even too get the pictures off the camera first, rework and then find where they are to launch ...  ;D ..

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''