Author Topic: 12" yew vase  (Read 3108 times)

woody

12" yew vase
« on: October 09, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Finished at last I made this for the wife she complained when I sold the last one I made, I wanted to use that  woops.
I have given the outside a Teak oil finish and sprayed the inside black and put a flower vase inside as my wife wants to use it for fresh flowers it is 12" tall x 8" wide at the top and to be honest it took all my strength to finish it but boy was it worth it LOL all comments welcome

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: 12" yew vase
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
Hi Woody, What a beautiful piece of Yew and a tremendous piece of turning I am amazed how pale the sap wood is. I bet SWMBO is well pleased with this,plenty of brownie points for "Yew" (sorry you).Well Done.Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31:32 PM »
Woody, that is some white in that Yew. It must have broke your heart not to sell it, but sometimes SWMBO must take precedence.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:44 PM »
Well done woody
Regards
John BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »

It works Woody,  very nice piece of Yew, very white as said, I've seen it mentioned in an article that the soil in which a tree grows can effect the colour of the timber, or does olde, wives, tales spring to mind.

Cheers         David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

woody

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »
Well that tree was grown in long Sutton Linc's and the soil is very heavy thick horrid clay LOL maybe that why it was so blooming hard