Author Topic: Chestnut Garden Sculpture  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Chestnut Garden Sculpture
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
 This stands 20" tall made from 4" x 4" Chestnut, arborteched, scorched & pyrography. The picture sections are a misture of airbrush and hand painted.
Any comments are appreciated.

Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

Re: Chestnut Garden Sculpture
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
I'm sorry, Martin, but this simply doesn't work for me. There's too much going on IMHO, and I always find butterflies on work a little twee and obvious. I think the piercers have done it to death and killed the originality.

Sorry!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »
As a sculptural piece I think it works but I would like to have seen a bit more turning on it.
John

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
Hi Martin,
I have been pondering over this one and not sure about it
I agree with Andy in that there is too much going on within the piece. There are enough ideas happening here to make several simpler objects.
I like the texturing and colouring but overall it is not my cup of tea, but good effort.
Regards
Ken

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »
Andy, John & Ken,

Thank you for bothering to reply, this is exactly what I want feedback, to be honest I was just playing with ideas and the new paints I have aquired and the ideas that have been in the back of the mind for months for a set of three sculptured ended up in the one. I totally agree much to much for one piece, and butterflies are a bit girly but I have not mastered a frog on a lily pond yet.

I take your comments as positive because it tells me where to go, and where not to go.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
I think the pyrography is some of the crispest that I have seen for ages.
John

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:08:11 PM »
Hi Martin

I am not  sure about this piece, i like both part as in the butterfly and the more bold part but not on one piece, this is only my personal taste. i know from what i sell that one person will not like an item but someone els will rave about the same piece.

Philip