Author Topic: Westonbirt Arboretum wood sales.  (Read 2229 times)

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
Westonbirt Arboretum wood sales.
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:19:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me anything about the westonbirt woodsales?
I've never been before and thought I might pop along to the next, which is this coming weekend.
Basically, what I want to know is is it any good and worth going?

Dan

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Westonbirt Arboretum wood sales.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:21:25 PM »
Now that question tells me you don't live too far from me (maybe). Did you do the Festival of the Tree (or Treefest as it is now) over the August Bank Holiday?

They sell green wood, or at least mostly green, some part seasoned if it's been down a while, certainly not fully seasoned.

It's also mostly in slabs, furniture making thickness (1" or 2"). Some branch wood and thick shrub woods in the round. Prices aren't to bad.  If your lucky they will be cutting to order and you can get a thicker slab cut, but it's the whole slab you have to take. Or have someone to share with.

So you'll need to think about storage and drying.

However, it's always worth a visit to see what they've got, sometimes some nice Box (I got a big 4' x 4" stem for £10).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline vyvsdad

• copper
Re: Westonbirt Arboretum wood sales.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
Sounds interesting, I think I'll pop along and have a gander. If nothing else it'll be a nice time of year to be there.
I'm not from there, I live in london, but the in-laws are bristol based, so not too far away.

Dan