Author Topic: Playing with Colour - Red vase  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Playing with Colour - Red vase
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »
So this is a piece of Walnut branch, seriously stained red. On top of that I've applied Liming Wax mixed with a white micro glitter. The glitter does not show in the pics though. My flash is not working, this is lit from above, so no glitter reflection! Then finished with several coats of Danish oil.

I made it as an experiment in strong colour with the wax as a counterpoise to relax it a bit.

130mm Wide (at the rim) x 130mm tall.

Does it work? Yes, No or Who cares anyway!  Comments as you will please.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

woody

Re: Playing with Colour - Red vase
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
Well it looks like it worked but the photo is quite dark so I cant see it clearly

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
Sorry to say this one doesn't rock my boat. But that may be down to the picture.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
On my screen it's almost the right size. The colour is a fairly accurate reflection of the actual vase as well although it does appear dark(ish), I think that's because the backdrop is not perfectly white or more probably the lack of a flash.

As I say it was an experiment, I can see where to make changes next time which is the main thing.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming, I'll accept anything from Wow to Yech! But a few words of explanation of your thoughts always helps.

Bryan (Dr4g0nfly)

woody

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
Hi Bryan I have just noticed that the bark is still on the vase even better would it look a bit better if the top had a bit of flare to it and make the natural edge stand out more just a thought
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:28:26 PM by woody »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »
Bryan, your play with color may not have come over so well with the picture, but you're on the right tack, as for form, it could be the short base or lack of stem, now set this on one of the long thin stem and it's a whole new ball game.

Well done so far.            David

Bryan,  Not sure as to if this has come out as a more true likeness, has it lost the colour !!!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:31:17 PM by woodndesign »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
Thanks Guy's,

Although I've used colour before, I'd never tried a single colour in such a strong way, I normally rub it back or thin it quite a lot. On top of which I'd just purchased some Liming Wax, so I decided to try both at the same time.

Red - because the wife wanted a 'Red Statement' in the front room. Shame it did not work!

The shape was just to give me a natural edge and some fairly strong open grain pattern stretched out, (hence the shallow sloping side) for the wax to fill.

First Lesson learnt - 'Just because the Stain feels dry and does not come off on your fingers, does not mean it is dry!' That is when I applied the Liming Wax it blended (just) with the wax and became pink - hmmmm, not my colour!

However, and it's a real shame it does not show in the photo, the white micro-glitter does work and gives it a great sparkle, well,

Second Lesson learnt - Don't cover liming wax with an Oil finish. It looses it's something!

Thanks again for the comments.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
That is interesting what you say about the micro glitter.Is that the same sort of thing as pearlescence? the stuff that artists use?
I never thought of using that and stain together, see what happens when these things are tried? ;D
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:26:49 PM »
John,

I don't really know how else to describe it. If you look in craft shops you can get the glitter we remember as kits (normal sized flakes) and stuff with much (much) smaller flakes, and in a huge range of colours.

I said white, and it is, not silver, I have that as well and Gold, Red, Green etc..

After I'd buffed the wax back I rubbed it onto/into the piece so it was a surface effect.

At the moment I'm trying all sorts of things to give colour or coloured effects, if I find something I think needs sharing, I'll post details.