Author Topic: Sycamore Bowl  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Sycamore Bowl
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »
This is 9 " in diameter, arborteched and scorched, the inner bowl is sprayed wityh black ebonising paine then iridescent paint applied to the black, red purple and green used here.

Your comments are most welcome
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

Re: Sycamore Bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
I like the bowl shape, and it looks well finished. I don't mind the inner bowl; it looks an appealing paint finish, but the rim kills it for me.

I now that arbotech and scorch seem to be (or have been) in vogue, and that several well known turners use the device, but for me it looks crude and never appeals.

I think the whole thing would be improved by losing the scorched and cut rim detail and just have a plain rim and a coloured inner bowl.

Sorry to be so negative once again, but if I say "that's nice" it's a cop out and serves nobody well.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Hi Martin,
             like Andy I like the shape and also the iridescent finish but I'm afraid the scorched rim for me is overkill. I did one similar to this a while back and was'nt happy with it for exactly the same reason. Sorry.
John

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
  this is a bit of cop out, I could not get rid of a nasty area of tear out so burnt it to hell, I need as many pieces finished quickly for an arts trail, and these are not on the top of my like list but I cant make enough of them the customers want them and they go very quick, so I will stop making them when the bilss stop coming through the letter box lol.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »
   I could not get rid of a nasty area of tear out so burnt it to hell, Cheers Martin.

You can't admit that on here! Martin, shame on you  ;D

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »

It's good for the idea of design, something to expand on, where the piece has as you've said a flaw...  as a means to an end it works, what ever we may like or dislike, if at the end the piece is something which sells and sells well, it's not all wrong.. as with the comments, we all learn from them for the good and if it comes to burning, it's not just firewood..   ;)........     

It's not that large a bowl, so the rim maybe a little bit big or the details should be a little finer, it's more the scale of the piece, than the end result as I look at it as best one can from a picture, it's not the same as being able to see and handle a piece.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''